Question Pcie compatibility

mircea.anton99

Commendable
Jan 30, 2018
I have a relatively old prebuilt system that has no m.2 slots on the motherboard. I found online some pcie cards that can solve this issue. However i am not sure of the specifications on my motherboard since it's proprietary hp hardware. All i know is that the pcie slot is the same size on the motherboard as it is on that card. My question is, provided that the pcie slot is not up to spec with the card, will the card just run slower or will it not run at all? If i put an m.2 inside it, will i at least get some improvement over sata?

I have a relatively old prebuilt system that has no m.2 slots on the motherboard. I found online some pcie cards that can solve this issue. However i am not sure of the specifications on my motherboard since it's proprietary hp hardware. All i know is that the pcie slot is the same size on the motherboard as it is on that card. My question is, provided that the pcie slot is not up to spec with the card, will the card just run slower or will it not run at all? If i put an m.2 inside it, will i at least get some improvement over sata?
In all likelihood you will not be able to boot from such a drive. Just get ordinary SATA SSD and don't throw the money on that stuff. It wouldn't work any faster than SATA drive.

Last edited:
The Prodesk 600 G2 apparently already comes with one M.2 PCI-e slot, at least it says so in the specfications. Are you sure your motherboard has no M.2 slots? Says it comes with "Turbo Drive G2", which includes "1 - M.2 PCIe x4-2280 (for storage)". Is Turbo Drive G2 a different model?

mircea.anton99

Commendable
Jan 30, 2018
The Prodesk 600 G2 apparently already comes with one M.2 PCI-e slot, at least it says so in the specfications. Are you sure your motherboard has no M.2 slots? Says it comes with "Turbo Drive G2", which includes "1 - M.2 PCIe x4-2280 (for storage)". Is Turbo Drive G2 a different model?
I opened the PC plenty of times and searched for it but i can not find an m.2 slot anywhere... I may just be blind but i dont know what to say