PCIe Configuration Help! Elgato HD60 Pro wont boot with SLI!

Sep 28, 2018
Current Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K
GPU: x2 GeForce GTX 1080 SLI
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F

Problem:
I’ve recently upgraded my build’s MOBO and CPU. Before I upgraded I was able to use my Graphics Cards in SLI, and my Elgato HD60 Pro without any issues using only 3 PCIE lanes. Now after the upgrade I’m not able to boot into windows when the Elgato HD60 Pro is connected to the MOBO along with the GPUs. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to configure some of the settings in the MOBO to get it to work, please I need some help!

Old Parts:
MOBO: ASUS Z170-A
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K

What I’ve done so far:
1. Updated the BIOS latest version
2. Installed proper Elgato drivers
3. Reset BIOS settings to default
4. Reset CMOS
5. Disabled Fast Boot
6. Used DDU to re-install fresh drivers per GPU

Solution
Ok, not sure if this helps, and even if I'm right, you may need your mobo manual. I looked at the specs for the PCIe interfaces for the Elgato and the GTX 1080's (Assuming that you are using this one) and I looked at how many PCIe slots the mobo had. The mobo has
"2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode)
4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1"
The 1080's need PCIe x16, but I looked at the elgato and it said it needs PCIe x1. So I'm guessing you are putting something in the wrong slot. Look at your mobo manual and make sure to put the 2 GPU's in the 2 slots that support x16 and put the Elgato in one of the 4 PCIe x1 slots. Hope that helped! Good Luck on fixing you're problem :D

schooltime7634

Prominent
Sep 24, 2018
www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/5479/how_to_enable_sli Hope this helps. Also, I don't know if 100% true (you'll have to double check), but supposedly, having a SLI Bridge helps. Don't know if you have one. "To run SLI or Crossfire on your system, you need a few things: a compatible motherboard, two compatible video cards, and a "bridge" that connects the two cards together (these usually come with your motherboard or video cards). " FOund that tidbit somewhere.

Congratuations! You have found one of the downsides to running SLI! What happens when you only install 1 GPU?
What resolution are you running at to require two 1080's?

Sep 28, 2018

I have everything you have listed, I have the SLI running without any issues.

Sep 28, 2018
Congratuations! You have found one of the downsides to running SLI! What happens when you only install 1 GPU?
What resolution are you running at to require two 1080's?
When I only install one card the PC turns on with the Elgato HD60 Pro connected to a PCIe lane. I have a 4K ASUS MG28UQ Monitor.

schooltime7634

Prominent
Sep 24, 2018

This isn't a final answer, as I'm going to look into this, but I think I have an idea of what's going on. Maybe you can only use on of the lanes at a time, so when you use either both gpus without elgato, or one gpu with elgato, it should work, but it may not be compatible to have all of it at once. Like I said, not a final answer, let me check, I'll write one more reply. :D Also question. What kind of storage do you have. Hdd? Sata ssd? m.2 ssd?
[EDIT] Also sorry I havent replied for a while...

Sep 28, 2018

SATA in USE (3):

• PNY - CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Seagate - 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
    LG - GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer
I am able to use one GPU with the Elgato perfectly fine! I can aslo run SLI with both GPUs without the Elgato, but not ideal as I want to use my Elgato for streaming.

Sep 28, 2018

I didn't have to install a fresh version of windows, I was able to boot the PC up with my new MOBO and CPU with the old windows I had installed in my SSD thast I also currently use for this build. I'm using the same version of Windows 10 Pro I had before the MOBO and CPU upgrade located on my SSD.

schooltime7634

Prominent
Sep 24, 2018
Ok, not sure if this helps, and even if I'm right, you may need your mobo manual. I looked at the specs for the PCIe interfaces for the Elgato and the GTX 1080's (Assuming that you are using this one) and I looked at how many PCIe slots the mobo had. The mobo has
"2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode)
4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1"
The 1080's need PCIe x16, but I looked at the elgato and it said it needs PCIe x1. So I'm guessing you are putting something in the wrong slot. Look at your mobo manual and make sure to put the 2 GPU's in the 2 slots that support x16 and put the Elgato in one of the 4 PCIe x1 slots. Hope that helped! Good Luck on fixing you're problem :D

Solution