[SOLVED] pcie expansion card sata

Mar 7, 2021
hello i was wondering for example if i buy a pcie v2 X1 card whit 6 extra sata ports on it and i use ssds that use 500mB/s i am going to be very bottleneck right ? because pcie v2 x1 is only 500mB/s so if u get 6 of the drives its going to be very bottelneck whit only 2 drives or am i wrong ?

link to pcie card

Solution
hello i was wondering for example if i buy a pcie v2 X1 card whit 6 extra sata ports on it and i use ssds that use 500mB/s i am going to be very bottleneck right ? because pcie v2 x1 is only 500mB/s so if u get 6 of the drives its going to be very bottelneck whit only 2 drives or am i wrong ?

link to pcie card
You will not be able to run 6 SATA SSDs simultaneously at full bandwidth with that card. Any single SSD could but if you were trying...

kanewolf

Titan

link to pcie card
You will not be able to run 6 SATA SSDs simultaneously at full bandwidth with that card. Any single SSD could but if you were trying to run those as striped disks, you would not get full bandwidth. There is slightly less than 1GB/s available with an x1 interface -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#History_and_revisions

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
What is the proposed use for these drives?
How many?
What specific make/model?