[SOLVED] PCIE Express connectors... male or female?

kdar

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Let's take for example this adapter. All over the place on Amazon or eBay this adapter is called "6-Pin PCI-E Male to 6 pin PCI-E Express Female".

Isn't that wrong? On the left is female 6 pin PCI-E connector and on the right is male 6 pin PCIE connector.
What is in your opinion right terms for those ends?

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
So at first I was confused because what you linked in my mind is a male connector, as the plastic pieces go into something. But most other places call that a female connector. However I think what defines male/female connectors are the electrical contacts, not the housing. If the electrical pins are going into something, it's the male end.

For example, the D-sub 15 connector for VGA is female on the device side, despite the cable end surrounding the housing of the connector on the device.

kdar

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Right. Sorry. It was 6 pin.

What about this? Who is right?

I don't really need adapter, but this confusion been bothering me. It is called one on Amazon and another on component sites.

So at first I was confused because what you linked in my mind is a male connector, as the plastic pieces go into something. But most other places call that a female connector. However I think what defines male/female connectors are the electrical contacts, not the housing. If the electrical pins are going into something, it's the male end.

For example, the D-sub 15 connector for VGA is female on the device side, despite the cable end surrounding the housing of the connector on the device.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
Right. Sorry. It was 6 pin.

What about this? Who is right?

I don't really need adapter, but this confusion been bothering me. It is called one on Amazon and another on component sites.
I wouldn't buy anything from this site that call it wrong

TRENDING THREADS