Your list is temporarily up to date. The very first consumer versions of PCIe 4.0 x 4 ssd's were released last week. I already added them to the ssd database I maintain. So far, there are only 3 technical reviews of the Corsair MP600 and 2 technical reviews of the Gigabyte Aorus.

I don't think we will see a lot of consumer excitement or as many technical reviews. The number of new ssd models being released and the number of technical reviews being published each year is declining. It is not a hard and fast rule but in general terms there is not much of a performance increase upgrading from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 4.0 that consumers will notice.

I've been following ssd's ever since Tom's Hardware published the very first technical review in 2006. The international standard for PCIe was supposed to be upgraded every two years. However, the upgrade from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 4.0 took 7 years. The upgrades are behind schedule. In an effort to catch up, PCIe 5.0 "might" be released late next year and PCIe 6.0 "might" be released sometime in 2021. If that actually happens, then PCIe 4.0 ssd's will have a very short shelf life. Industry predictions are that PCIe 4.0 will coexist with PCIe 5.0 for a while.

needhelp111111

Reputable
May 3, 2018
Your list is temporarily up to date. The very first consumer versions of PCIe 4.0 x 4 ssd's were released last week. I already added them to the ssd database I maintain. So far, there are only 3 technical reviews of the Corsair MP600 and 2 technical reviews of the Gigabyte Aorus.

I don't think we will see a lot of consumer excitement or as many technical reviews. The number of new ssd models being released and the number of technical reviews being published each year is declining. It is not a hard and fast rule but in general terms there is not much of a performance increase upgrading from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 4.0 that consumers will notice.

I've been following ssd's ever since Tom's Hardware published the very first technical review in 2006. The international standard for PCIe was supposed to be upgraded every two years. However, the upgrade from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 4.0 took 7 years. The upgrades are behind schedule. In an effort to catch up, PCIe 5.0 "might" be released late next year and PCIe 6.0 "might" be released sometime in 2021. If that actually happens, then PCIe 4.0 ssd's will have a very short shelf life. Industry predictions are that PCIe 4.0 will coexist with PCIe 5.0 for a while.

Well, I literally just bought an AORUS. I suspect I'll notice a huge improvement since I'm currently using using a Mushkin Reactor SATA SSD. I just dropped about $2K, so I won't be upgrading my PC for at least another 3 years, aside from the GPU, which I never upgraded. Hence I don't think what you mentioned will really effect me at all.

Where can I find the technical reviews of the Gen 4 M.2s?

I cannot post the url to the ssd database I maintain. Purch, which is the company that owns Tom's Hardware, AnandTech, and over 75 other web sites, does not allow posting url's to personal web sites. However, you could use a search engine to search on your own for the johnny lucky ssd database.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well, I literally just bought an AORUS. I suspect I'll notice a huge improvement since I'm currently using using a Mushkin Reactor SATA SSD. I just dropped about $2K, so I won't be upgrading my PC for at least another 3 years, aside from the GPU, which I never upgraded. Hence I don't think what you mentioned will really effect me at all.

Where can I find the technical reviews of the Gen 4 M.2s?
To be honest, for regular desktop usage, gaming, etc. you will probably barely notice a difference. Might shave a few seconds off boot times.

sub3marathonman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
It is not a hard and fast rule but in general terms there is not much of a performance increase upgrading from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 4.0 that consumers will notice.

I am in a similar dilemma, trying to decide which ssd to purchase, and I appreciate the JohnnyLucky ssd database!

I understand that PCIe 4.0 is twice as fast as PCIe 3.0, but after that I'm fairly confused, and I'm hoping the experts here can clarify.

For the ssd, it is then PCIe 4.0 X4, or PCIe 3.0 X4. So why can't there be a PCIe 3.0 X8 ssd that would be just as fast as a PCIe 4.0 X4 ssd? If they won't make the X8 ssd, wouldn't you be almost the same speed with a RAID-0 PCIe 3.0 X4 ssds? I suppose at some point you can say if you had the RAID-0 PCIe 4.0 X4 ssds it would be that bit faster.

Also, one other detail I can't understand. If the PCIe 3.0 ssd is put in a PCIe 4.0 slot, I can see that the ssd is the limiting factor, since it is made for the PCIe 3.0 standard, but won't the data it sends over the PCIe 4.0 lanes be moving faster than if it was on the PCIe 3.0 lanes?