[SOLVED] PCIe gen3x4 on PCIe gen 3x2 Port

Sep 13, 2019
Hello guys, i wan't your help about this.
I have 2 question,
  1. Any body here had trying to use SSD with PCIe gen 3x4 on PCIe gen 3x2 port?
  2. What happens after that?
Thank you for give me your experience

Solution
I have 2 question,

Are you planning to use a PCI Express expansion bracket card to install NVME drives on? If so a Gen 3 X4 port will have a total of 4 lanes and X 2 just 2 lanes available bandwidth. Each lane is 1GB/s in each direction so a X2 means a max of 2GB/s per direction. Some NVME drives is above that limit so you will be limiting the capacity of the drive but it will work. On the X4 port you will have a max of 4GB/s and that is enough to be used with even the fastest NVME PCI Express gen 3 drives on the market today. But many...

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
I have 2 question,

Are you planning to use a PCI Express expansion bracket card to install NVME drives on? If so a Gen 3 X4 port will have a total of 4 lanes and X 2 just 2 lanes available bandwidth. Each lane is 1GB/s in each direction so a X2 means a max of 2GB/s per direction. Some NVME drives is above that limit so you will be limiting the capacity of the drive but it will work. On the X4 port you will have a max of 4GB/s and that is enough to be used with even the fastest NVME PCI Express gen 3 drives on the market today. But many of those expansion brackets have room for 2 NVME drives so if you want o use both of them at full capacity you must use a X8 or X16 port.

Solution
Sep 13, 2019
Are you planning to use a PCI Express expansion bracket card to install NVME drives on? If so a Gen 3 X4 port will have a total of 4 lanes and X 2 just 2 lanes available bandwidth. Each lane is 1GB/s in each direction so a X2 means a max of 2GB/s per direction. Some NVME drives is above that limit so you will be limiting the capacity of the drive but it will work. On the X4 port you will have a max of 4GB/s and that is enough to be used with even the fastest NVME PCI Express gen 3 drives on the market today. But many of those expansion brackets have room for 2 NVME drives so if you want o use both of them at full capacity you must use a X8 or X16 port.
Yes, i have plan to use SSD NVME on slot M.2 PCIe gen 3 interface. So, SSDs with PCIe gen 3 x4lane interface can be used well on PCIe gen 3 x2lane port interface and it's just that the speed that will get only 2Gb/s or can only use 2lane only?

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Yes, i have plan to use SSD NVME on slot M.2 PCIe gen 3 interface. So, SSDs with PCIe gen 3 x4lane interface can be used well on PCIe gen 3 x2lane port interface and it's just that the speed that will get only 2Gb/s or can only use 2lane only?

Yes X4 stuff is backwards compatible with X2 slots but as I said they will run at half speed. If you put a NVME drive in a X2 slot then you will only be able to run 1 drive max and the max speed from the drive will probably be around 1.8 GB per second. So you will be able to run a Intel 660P drive on there at full speed but not the faster Samsung 970 EVO drive that requires over 3GB/s for full sequential reads and writes. On a X4 slot you can run even the 970 EVO at Max speed since it tops out at about 3.2GB/s. But once again you will not be able to run 2 such drives even on a X4 slot. For that you must use a X8 or X16 slot.

Reactions: DavidISP