Question PCIE Issue Help

Sep 24, 2020
Having an issue and I’ve searched and searched and can’t find anyone with the same exact issue that’s helped much. This is my first PC build so I am lost in what is wrong. I am an electrical engineer so don’t be worried about getting technical. Any help is appreciated.

Here’s the specs
B450 Tomahawk Max
16Gb DDR4 3600 RAM
Rzyen 5 3600
XFX Raw II 5700XT GPU

Here’s the issue.
Everything went smooth building it. Worked great minus some temp issues that was resolved with undervolting the CPU slightly. About a month or two in I went to turn on and no signal from the GPU. Tried a lot of thing I seen on other forums such as clearing the CMOS, removing a RAM stick etc. I moved the GPU to another PCIE slot and it works so the GPU seems fine. So I’m down to the mother board having a bad PCIE slot or something wrong with the CPU seeings how the PCIE slot not working is the one tied to the CPU. I don’t have spares laying around so I haven’t been able to swap and check so I’m wondering if there is any other test I can do to narrow it down? Other than that I guess it’s guess what part to replace and see how it goes. The VGA Light on the motherboard comes on during boot and then stays off which I find odd but I also tried to boot without the gpu installed and it doesn’t stay on either so I’m assuming that’s no help. Thanks for any advice!

I think more than likely the problem would lie with the motherboard than the CPU as CPUs are generally tougher......but have you tried the first slot again? Many times I have come across a situation where the card just needed to be reseated.

I would also inspect the slots and the card for any debris or anything odd.

Sep 24, 2020
I think more than likely the problem would lie with the motherboard than the CPU as CPUs are generally tougher......but have you tried the first slot again? Many times I have come across a situation where the card just needed to be reseated.

I would also inspect the slots and the card for any debris or anything odd.

Yeah I have reseated it a couple times. Sometimes the monitor acts like it sees a signal and comes on but will shortly go to no signal. I’ve thought about doing a complete disassemble/reassemble but haven’t yet.

Yeah I have reseated it a couple times. Sometimes the monitor acts like it sees a signal and comes on but will shortly go to no signal. I’ve thought about doing a complete disassemble/reassemble but haven’t yet.
I don't know if I would go as far as that as it really seems like you have it narrowed down to the slot.
I can't think of much else it could be if it works in one slot and not the other.
I might just RMA the MB.