[SOLVED] pcie lanes

Sahil rajput

Honorable
Feb 7, 2016
recently while choosing parts for my future pc I have googled many thing for building a new pc, the most frustrating and mind boggling topic I came across is about pcie lanes, the more articles on internet I read the more I confused bam!!
can you please explain me in easy way that what are pcie lanes from which component they derived
I am thinking to build a pc with ryzen 3400g along with ex a320m motherboard can anybody tell me how many lanes are available in my system and how these are calculated .
can I use gtx 1070, single nvme ssd, 2 hdd 7200rpm
forgive my English if something is written wrong here

Solution
Thanks bro for replying but please help me to understand the maths too how these are calculated from where they come processor or mobo
How much each of the device GPU, nvme ,HDD ,ram use lanes
ram and the hdd don't use pci-e lanes.
ram is connected directly to the cpu, while hdd is usually connected to the sata controller in the mobo's chipset.

nvme ssds take UP TO 4 pcie lanes
while gpus take UP TO 16 pcie lanes.

even the best of gpus don't use 16 lanes, even gen 3.
8 lanes (gen 3) or 16 lanes (gen 2) would be enough for most gpus, or atleast not bottleneck their performance by a ton.
(4 gen 4 lanes are also the same as 8 gen 3 and 16 gen 2)

nvme ssds also will never ever saturate 4 gen 3 or 4 lanes.
In the real world, how...
Thanks bro for replying but please help me to understand the maths too how these are calculated from where they come processor or mobo
How much each of the device GPU, nvme ,HDD ,ram use lanes
ram and the hdd don't use pci-e lanes.
ram is connected directly to the cpu, while hdd is usually connected to the sata controller in the mobo's chipset.

nvme ssds take UP TO 4 pcie lanes
while gpus take UP TO 16 pcie lanes.

even the best of gpus don't use 16 lanes, even gen 3.
8 lanes (gen 3) or 16 lanes (gen 2) would be enough for most gpus, or atleast not bottleneck their performance by a ton.
(4 gen 4 lanes are also the same as 8 gen 3 and 16 gen 2)

nvme ssds also will never ever saturate 4 gen 3 or 4 lanes.
In the real world, how many times do you transfer something from an nvme ssd to another, which isnt bottlenecked by your network (Which at best is probably 10 gigabit (1.25 megabytes per second)) or your internet (which again, is probably at best 1 gigabit (125 megabytes per second.))
both of which dont come close to pcie gen 3 4x which is around 3.5-4 gigabytes per second.

And the everyday stuff you do, like download files or open them rely much more on random performance than sequential, how much it can transfer big files speed.

Reactions: Sahil rajput
Solution

Sahil rajput

Honorable
Feb 7, 2016
Thanks for replying and now knowledge of your reply is overflowing from my mind lol😅😅
Computer world is full of mysterious thing for noob like me , I think I can never understand about computers other than installing ram, processor and GPU.
All the thing is that while buying a pc I'll just ask in toms hardware and silently accept what experts like you suggest 😁😅✌️

Thanks for replying and now knowledge of your reply is overflowing from my mind lol😅😅
Computer world is full of mysterious thing for noob like me , I think I can never understand about computers other than installing ram, processor and GPU.
All the thing is that while buying a pc I'll just ask in toms hardware and silently accept what experts like you suggest 😁😅✌
All the knowledge is youtube.
If you want to understand why somethings matter while others don't
or why things work and how, just youtube it.