Status
Not open for further replies.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
I'm using a WD SN750 500GB, first on the board's nvme slot and now with a Vantec UGT-M2PC12-RGB (https://www.vantecusa.com/products_detail.php?p_id=259) which is supposed to be PCIE 3.0/4.0 x4 but for me it's only running at 2.0 x4 for a reason that I can't figure out. Mobo is Z97 Asus Maximus Hero VII

I switched from the mobo m.2 slot because it was looking to be a pain to configure to boot from, and only running at it's rated PCIE 2.0 x2 .

WD SSD software is where I see the negotiated speed of 2.0 x4, although it seems to be running slower than double of the mobo m.2 pcie 2.0 x2 slot.

What might be hindering this from running at PCIE 3.0 x4 in a PCIE 3.0 x4 slot? Is the adapter card defective? Not seated correctly or something lol? Please advise, thanks.

4790k, 16GB cl8 1866
asus maximus hero vii z97, multi ssd/hdd
1070ti in 1st PCIE 3.0 x16 slot, 2nd PCIE 3.0 x8 slot empty, all other slots empty, NVME adapter in bottom PCIE 3.0 x4 slot
USB3 header is in use.. i wonder if that's related - i feel like i read something like that once upon a time where it uses pcie lanes but I cant remember or find it again. Also there would still be lanes to spare and shouldnt knock anything down to 2.0, but I;; try unplugging it and see what happens.
The usb2 header also in use but that one cant be related i think.

**EDIT I was looking for BIOS boot config help and this seems to be the ticket:
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...-ssds/NVMe_Boot_Guide_332098-001US_Rev1-1.pdf

Last edited:
Solution
Put it in the 2nd PCIe 3.0 x8 slot. Then it will have all lanes going directly to the CPU. Not shared with all devices on the chipset. It won't hurt your GPU any running at x8. Unless you have a 2080 Ti. Then you might lose 5%.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Put it in the 2nd PCIe 3.0 x8 slot. Then it will have all lanes going directly to the CPU. Not shared with all devices on the chipset. It won't hurt your GPU any running at x8. Unless you have a 2080 Ti. Then you might lose 5%.

The 4790k doesnt push the 1070ti to max anyway I think so probably wont lose anything, thanks! Good thinking!

Anywhere you know where I can look for help to boot from this?

The 4790k doesnt push the 1070ti to max anyway I think so probably wont lose anything, thanks! Good thinking!

Anywhere you know where I can look for help to boot from this?

Did you update the BIOS? It looks like they added M.2 support. I think you'll also need to enable UEFI boot. Then clean install the OS for UEFI if you were using Legacy before.

If all else fails. As long as you have another drive installed. You can make the other drive the default and use the Clover bootloader. As it supports NVMe drives and should pick up the SSD and allow you to boot off any bootable partitions. Loading time is a bit slow as it takes a while to search for drives.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Did you update the BIOS? It looks like they added M.2 support. I think you'll also need to enable UEFI boot. Then clean install the OS for UEFI if you were using Legacy before.

If all else fails. As long as you have another drive installed. You can make the other drive the default and use the Clover bootloader. As it supports NVMe drives and should pick up the SSD and allow you to boot off any bootable partitions. Loading time is a bit slow as it takes a while to search for drives.

Its always been uefi, and the bios us recent enough there i can pick whether i want that can chose between m.2 and pciex4

It's nvme capable right now, there's an option in the uefi to select lanes between the PCIE x4 and m.2, but I can't figure out the boot part. I'll have to do more research, but in the mean time, the disk seems to be running a little slow:
https://freeimage.host/i/dahXjV

**edit: maybe I'm wrong, some places show that as the 500GB rated speed.. Its hard to find, I'm kinda ticked it's not shown easily but i guess it's fast enough.. Lower iops as well grrr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.