PCIe NVMe m.2 Solid State in a laptop?

Mar 20, 2018
I recently bought an Acer Nitro 5 laptop, and it's a great laptop, but the hard drive that came stock in it is complete garbage. (Some generic 5400 rpm hdd). When I bought it, I noticed it had an m.2 slot, and I planned on putting a PCIe NVMe m.2 SSD in it. After doing some research, I've read that the temperatures on these hard drives can get VERY high, but all of the articles that I was able to find reliable were also well over a year old. Would this kind of hard drive run too hot for a laptop? Also, do regular m.2 solid state that aren't PCIe NVMe run that hot as well, and do they all share the same slot?

If it comes to it, I might just buy a Samsung Evo 2.5" solid state and put it in the bay, but I am still somewhat caught up on the speeds of these PCIe cards

Mar 20, 2018

The regular m.2 drives are about the same as SATA, but the PCIe NVMe ones are several times faster, which is what caught my eye in the first place. And I didn't read anything bad about regular m.2 ssds getting too hot, just the PCIe ones.

But I've been seeing some PCIe's pop up for recommended laptop upgrades, and that some idle at over 60c, which is nuts.