[SOLVED] PCIe NVMe SSD with old Mainboard

Solution
That adapter is "PCI Express 3.0"

The 980 Pro is PCIe 4.0.
You would only be getting 3.0 performance.

What would you be using it for?
Unlikely you'd see anya ctual difference between 3.0 and 4.0, meaning the extra cost of the 980 Pro is just wasted.

USAFRet

Titan
That adapter is "PCI Express 3.0"

The 980 Pro is PCIe 4.0.
You would only be getting 3.0 performance.

What would you be using it for?
Unlikely you'd see anya ctual difference between 3.0 and 4.0, meaning the extra cost of the 980 Pro is just wasted.

Solution
Aug 10, 2021
Hello, thank you for the response!

I am planning to use the Samsung 980 Pro also in another PC but maybe I will also consider a less pricy M.2 SSD.

For now with my old pc the performance is secondary and I don't need to boot from that SSD.

I am hoping that the above mentioned PCIe M.2 adapter with a M.2 SSD like the above are compatible with my old mainboard and Ubuntu 20.04.

I am hoping for an answer like: 'There shouldn't be any reason why it shouldn't work'.
But I will also accept any other answer.

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, thank you for the response!

I am planning to use the Samsung 980 Pro also in another PC but maybe I will also consider a less pricy M.2 SSD.

For now with my old pc the performance is secondary and I don't need to boot from that SSD.

I am hoping that the above mentioned PCIe M.2 adapter with a M.2 SSD like the above are compatible with my old mainboard and Ubuntu 20.04.

I am hoping for an answer like: 'There shouldn't be any reason why it shouldn't work'.
But I will also accept any other answer.

Thanks!
It will probably work, but you're spending extra money for no real purpose or benefit.