[SOLVED] Pcie pin on gtx 970

bboy.hh

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
Hey guys before i start , im sorry.im bad at pc build
So i have a gtx 970 with z170 motherboard 16 gb of.ram
Power supply 600w , gtx 970 need the 8 pin to motherboard to work i.dont have i.want.to.buy it tomorrow , so i put it without.the 8 pin , i turned on the pc everything work , graphics card start spinning , for a 3 seconds than it stop spinning , and on the screen , something.pop up say , please put the pci 8 pin to graphics card ? Is this.normal? To the graphics card to stop.spinning?
Thanks for.advance

Solution
I think you're confusing something.

Your GTX 970 needs a 8 pin power connector FROM THE PSU. Not from the motherboard.

It's called a PCIe VGA cable. You need to plug that PCie cable from your PSU which should be a PCIe 6+2 pin cable to your GPU.

Your GTX 970 needs a 8 pin power connector FROM THE PSU. Not from the motherboard.

It's called a PCIe VGA cable. You need to plug that PCie cable from your PSU which should be a PCIe 6+2 pin cable to your GPU.

Solution

bboy.hh

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
Hey guys before i start , im sorry.im bad at pc build
So i have a gtx 970 with z170 motherboard 16 gb of.ram
Power supply 600w , gtx 970 need the 8 pin to motherboard to work i.dont have i.want.to.buy it tomorrow , so i put it without.the 8 pin , i turned on the pc everything work , graphics card start spinning , for a 3 seconds than it stop spinning , and on the screen , something.pop up say , please put the pci 8 pin to graphics card ? Is this.normal? To the graphics card to stop.spinning?
Thanks for.advance

Yes sorry exactly thank.you , so its ok if its stopped spinning right?
The thing is what im.scared about because i put the cable on the video card , and while its running i just put my finger on the cable , and pop up sound come from a gpu.or mobo, a little bit , and i.smelled something burning but its a very little bit smell, after that i unplug it and.put it on pcie cable to the.cpu motherboard 8 pin, and start spinning for.3 sec and it stop , and something popped up say need to.put cable etc...

Yes sorry exactly thank.you , so its ok if its stopped spinning right?
The thing is what im.scared about because i put the cable on the video card , and while its running i just put my finger on the cable , and something.popped , a little bit , and i.smelled something burning but its a very little bit smell, after that i unplug it and.put it on pcie cable to the.cpu motherboard 8 pin, and start spinning for.3 sec and it stop , and something popped up say need to.put cable etc...

So you plugged the PCIe cable to your GPU and something burned. Not good.

Then you plugged the PCIe cable to your motherboard?? Which is a big NO since the PCIe cable does not connect to the motherboard. The cable you need to plug on the board are the 24 pin and the 8 pin ESP CPU Cable. Not the PCie VGA cable.

There is no way of knowing if you fried your system or if the burning smell is coming from a cable melting or the PSU just dying.

Why is there no one that knows this stuff with you? Did you watch any "How to build a PC" video?

bboy.hh

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
So you plugged the PCIe cable to your GPU and something burned. Not good.

Then you plugged the PCIe cable to your motherboard?? Which is a big NO since the PCIe cable does not connect to the motherboard. The cable you need to plug on the board are the 24 pin and the 8 pin ESP CPU Cable. Not the PCie VGA cable.

There is no way of knowing if you fried your system or if the burning smell is coming from a cable melting or the PSU just dying.

Why is there no one that knows this stuff with you? Did you watch any "How to build a PC" video?
Thanks.for the reply
Yeah actually no one.knows.except.me i can build stuff , and i live with parents , i watched yes , and u said about the esp 8 pin cable yes this.one , everything spinning as normal , but the realy question is , if i dont put the 8 pin cable to the.graphics card.does it stop spinning?
Thanks for.ur replying.and.im sorry because.im noob with these stuff

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Sounds to me like he used the ESP cable to power the GPU? That's a 12V output(on opposite pins), which means your graphics card was essentially exposed to -12V.

Reverse polarity, it's probably also near certain that your motherboard could be damaged.

Your GFX is dead, sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks.for the reply
Yeah actually no one.knows.except.me i can build stuff , and i live with parents , i watched yes , and u said about the esp 8 pin cable yes this.one , everything spinning as normal , but the realy question is , if i dont put the 8 pin cable to the.graphics card.does it stop spinning?
Thanks for.ur replying.and.im sorry because.im noob with these stuff

Forget the graphics cards fan not spinning. That's normal. They don't spin unless the temperature is over a certain temp but that the least of your worries.

If you don't tell us exactly what you did and with what cable we can't really tell but if you plugged the ESP CPU cable in your GPU you probably fried your GPU.

We don't even know the brand and model of your PSU.

bboy.hh

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
Forget the graphics cards fan not spinning. That's normal. They don't spin unless the temperature is over a certain temp but that the least of your worries.

If you don't tell us exactly what you did and with what cable we can't really tell but if you plugged the ESP CPU cable in your GPU you probably fried your GPU.

We don't even know the brand and model of your PSU.
Omg i.hope its.not , ok i.will tell you.exactly.what i did , i.put the esp cable on my gpu , when i put it starts spinning normal , but.no display , i just put.my finger on esp and something pop sound , and pc turn off i than put the esp to the motherboard and put the hdmi to the graphics card and turn it.on everythint start spinning.normal , graphics card stop after 3 sec , u said its.normal hope so , and something pop up on.the.screen, put the 8 pin cable to graphics card to continue, restart it to.check again, and yes same pop up on.screen please put etc.... im really hoping.nothing bad here , because im gonna buy everything tomorrow, im really sorry , and.thanks.for.advance hope you reply
and yes.power supply is cx600m

bboy.hh

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
Sounds to me like he used the ESP cable to power the GPU? That's a 12V output(on opposite pins), which means your graphics card was essentially exposed to -12V.

Reverse polarity, it's probably also near certain that your motherboard could be damaged.

Your GFX is dead, sorry.
Thank you for the reply
But if you mean the graphics card , gpu is fine thank.god , today i bought a new 6 pin 8.pcie , to.gpu.everything.works fine, now.i.have a software problem which is cpu high usage, and system interrupts 99, which cause the pc to run.extremely slow