[SOLVED] PCIE Power cable with 2 - 6+2 connectors

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
The last PSU I bought specified it had 4 PCIE 6+2 pin connectors. What it has is two PCIE power cables with each cable having two sets of 6+2 pin connectors (similar to how sata and molex power cables are daisy-chained).

In the past I've always had two separate cables from the PSU to the GPU with the common 8-pin and 6-pin connections on the GPU.

Am I OK to just use the one cable for both of the connections on the GPU? I wasn't sure if the need for multiple cables/connections was the current capacity of the cable or the concern for the current flowing through the connector which could generate heat??

I'm on the forums regularly but haven't seen this addressed.

Thanks in advance for any answers!!

Solution
no problem there. they make quality units and that circuit will be able to handle the load no problem. no reason to run 2 cables to the gpu when a single one will handle it fine :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a quality unit will be designed to handle the load the connections ask for. if they design it to only use one connection, then that's what i'd go with. if they design it with multiple connections on a cable, then they know it can handle the load.

you got a good unit from a great company, so i'd not worry about it. it's designed to handle the load the connections offer.

Earlier PSUs I've purchased only had PCIE cables with one 6+2 plug on them - you had to use two cables...this includes a Seasonic PX-850 Prime Platinum I bought in March.

The last two PSUs I've purchased - Seasonic Focus Gold 650 and 850 came with PCIE cables with dual 6+2 pin plugs.....

Strange. They list it in the list of parts: https://seasonic.com/prime-px

But with a quantity of zero.

Maybe the only include it with the higher wattage units so they can leave the same number of connectors on the PSU so they don't have to re-tool a different PSU housing or re-layout a separate PCB for each wattage.