[SOLVED] Pcie retention clip broke off + Mobo backplate fell off

Oct 31, 2020
So I was taking apart my pc today and stupidly I forgot that there was a clip that holds my gpu in place. I ended using a sizeable amount of force to yank out my gpu and in doing so I ended up breaking the retention clip and my motherboards backplate (behind the cpu) came off. The hook on my gpu (rx5700) appears to be intact and there isn't any visible damage to the chips on the motherboard around the backplate area. The pcie slot also appears to be fine. Will this have caused a decent amount of damage to my system? Should I reattach the backplate? And when it comes to the retention clip on my x16 pcie slot, I have a working one on my x4 slot. Can I remove this and replace the one on my x16 slot with it?

Solution
So I was taking apart my pc today and stupidly I forgot that there was a clip that holds my gpu in place. I ended using a sizeable amount of force to yank out my gpu and in doing so I ended up breaking the retention clip and my motherboards backplate (behind the cpu) came off. The hook on my gpu (rx5700) appears to be intact and there isn't any visible damage to the chips on the motherboard around the backplate area. The pcie slot also appears to be fine. Will this have caused a decent amount of damage to my system? Should I reattach the backplate? And when it comes to the retention clip on my x16 pcie slot, I have a working one on my x4 slot. Can I remove this and replace the one on my x16 slot with it?
If GPU is properly...
If GPU is properly mounted loss of a clip will cause no trouble.
MB backplate is no problem either, it's held by screws on CPU cooler, just put everything together.

Reactions: Xiip
Solution