Question PCIe sata card with optical drive causing sound glitches

GarethA

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
So I've had this problem for a few days ever since I installed a new 4 SATA 6gbps port PCI express card in my Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 system with i7 2700k.

I should say that I'm having this issue while using a professional soundcard (which uses the old legacy PCI slot which the P8Z68 board has two of) and which I have never had this problem since I bought it at least five years ago and it's used on a daily basis. Perhaps after hours this week trying to fix this issue it may not be the soundcard that is the problem even though the problem is glitches in the audio/sound when playing anything from music in vlc to youtube/iplayer in Firefox and IE.

This card was bought mainly to add an internal Samsung DVD-RW optical drive into my Define R4 case while having all the main SATA ports on the motherboard for hdds and ssds. It showed up in Windows 7 instantly which was good. I've ripped a few audio cds since successfully. That's not the problem. It seems I cannot have this drive enabled in Windows without it always affecting what media I'm playing. Instead of trying to explain the sound I get I have recorded it in Wavelab exactly how it sounds in real-time, to show you I was playing part of an old dj mix set in the latest VLC player and recording what is played back in Wavelab. I've cut and faded it to about a minute and a half just so you get a quick idea of what happens when this drive is enabled. Whether I'm actually using the DVD drive or not these glitches occur without fail. All sorts trigger these glitches for example opening a vpn application or hitting the Windows logo key and typing the name of any program I want to open and it will start just like what you hear here:

What I've found is that if I disable this drive in device manager the glitches stop straight away if I perform the same actions like opening a program.

And to make things more weird, if I instead connect an internal hard disk to the same sata port on the pci card there are no glitches whatsoever, this is driving me insane!

I've even resorted to moving my GTX 1050 graphics card to another slot and removing it completely and just using the Intel HD graphics built into the board and still the glitches occur so my thought of the GTX 1050 taking all the data or power is not the case. I'm using a XFX 650w PSU by the way which I think is at least 200w more than my system needs although it's probably got nothing to do with this problem.

I've connected the pci card to all three possible slots on the motherboard with no change so not one can be faulty as they all recognise it. Again, the problem only occurs when my Samsung sata optical drive is connected to the card.

Idea's? I know optical drives are not used like they once were but I have a cd collection to rip so it's needed and for about £15 I thought I'd give it a shot.

The card is a '4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x2 HyperDuo RAID Card' with Marvell 88SE9230 chipset.

Many thanks experts.

Lutfij

Titan
If I were you and really needed that optical drive, I'd do so without any add on cards. If possible consolidate all data onto larger drives to reduce the number of platter drives freeing up SATA ports on the board. Also, are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

GarethA

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hi thanks for the reply. BIOS is latest 3603 but hasn't been updated since 2012 as the board is fairly old now. Like I said I've run the same system for many years without stupid issues I cannot find a solution like this. Well that is a fix you suggested there, why I didn't think about ONLY connecting my sata hdds and ssds to the pci card and just hook up the optical dvd drive to the motherboard's own sata II slot I don't know. I already had my hard disks connected to the motherboard's sata ports so I just felt like connecting the optical drive to the new pci card as what could possibly go wrong?!

Well like I said the optical drive does work (rips cds) just that if it's enabled the system sounds gets corrupted which is very annoying. In the past I've hooked up the same optical dvd drive to the motherboard's sata port without any of the sound distortion I get when plugged into the new pci card.

I've done some research and the problem maybe that the PCI soundcard and the PCIe sata card are sharing the same IRQ values. Windows device manager doesn't report any conflicts but I've read that there are other people who are sure this is not the case and there are conflicts.

I'll check again these values to see if they are using the same IRQ number. This is not an area I'm familiar with even though I've been amateurishly playing around with my personal computers for around 12 years now.