[SOLVED] PCIe SATA CARD.

Oct 10, 2020
I am looking for a supplier to buy new a PCIe SATA 3 card to drive two 6TB hard drives, with the following features. Non Raid, AHCI. I have noticed that cards I have viewed that are rated as SATA 6Gbps can’t deliver the transfer rate. They bottleneck on the card PCIe specification. For example PCIe v2 x1 can only deliver a rate of 4Gbps, where two SATA 3 ports combined require 12Gbps at full theoretical rate. I realise these are theoretical speeds and are not obtainable, but if the specs rated the card as PCIe v3 x2 then I would know the theoretical data rate makes sense. I have not yet purchased the motherboard. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Solution
I am looking for a supplier to buy new a PCIe SATA 3 card to drive two 6TB hard drives, with the following features. Non Raid, AHCI. I have noticed that cards I have viewed that are rated as SATA 6Gbps can’t deliver the transfer rate. They bottleneck on the card PCIe specification. For example PCIe v2 x1 can only deliver a rate of 4Gbps, where two SATA 3 ports combined require 12Gbps at full theoretical rate. I realise these are theoretical speeds and are not obtainable, but if the specs rated the card as PCIe v3 x2 then I would know the theoretical data rate makes sense. I have not yet purchased the motherboard. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
If you had SSDs there could be a bottleneck. With...

kanewolf

Titan
If you had SSDs there could be a bottleneck. With spinning disks, it won't be an issue.

Solution