[SOLVED] PCIE SATA controllers working under Windows 11 in pure UEFI mode ?

Dec 10, 2021
I have an ASUS B550 TUF GAMING mainboard with Windows 10 and use the system as a video library. For that purpose I installed 2 10-port ASMEDIA 106x SATA Controllers ( Marvell ) with 20 SATA disks each 2-8 TB. Windows is installed on GPT formatted PCIE SSD with UEFI boot.

The only way the SATA Controllers work and are initialized is setting CSM Enabled and Storage Legacy only in BIOS. fTPM is enabled and booting works with "Secure Boot" in Windows UEFI mode and in mode Other OS.

Setting CSM Disabled results in a hanging System during boot, the Controllers are not enabled, none of the 20 disks are shown in BIOS, Windows boot is never started. I assume the Bios on the SATA controllers does not support pure UEFI mode of operation.

The Micsrosoft check for Windows 11 prerequisites is ok, I could install it on the system
BUT:
Now ASUS tells me for Windows 11 to start, setting CSM Disabled is required:
'Please also keep in mind that for Windows 11 following 3 settings must be changed in the BIOS: fTPM activated, CSM disabled and in ''Secure Boot'' you need to select Windows UEFI Mode. '

In this mode I cannot use the SATA controllers, I even have to remove the cards from the system to get the PC to boot.

How do I get the PC and Windows 11 to boot with the SATA controllers working ?

Do I need to change to other SATA controllers ?

Are there any SATA controllers who support pure UEFI mode ?

Or can I upgrade the Bios on the ASMEDIA / Marvell Controllers ?

The Bios upgrade / new controllers need to work also in CSM mode, because I would like to test Windows 11 on a new PCIE SSD parallel to the running Windows 10.

Cj-tech

Reputable
Jan 27, 2021
I have an ASUS B550 TUF GAMING mainboard with Windows 10 and use the system as a video library. For that purpose I installed 2 10-port ASMEDIA 106x SATA Controllers ( Marvell ) with 20 SATA disks each 2-8 TB. Windows is installed on GPT formatted PCIE SSD with UEFI boot.

The only way the SATA Controllers work and are initialized is setting CSM Enabled and Storage Legacy only in BIOS. fTPM is enabled and booting works with "Secure Boot" in Windows UEFI mode and in mode Other OS.

Setting CSM Disabled results in a hanging System during boot, the Controllers are not enabled, none of the 20 disks are shown in BIOS, Windows boot is never started. I assume the Bios on the SATA controllers does not support pure UEFI mode of operation.

The Micsrosoft check for Windows 11 prerequisites is ok, I could install it on the system
BUT:
Now ASUS tells me for Windows 11 to start, setting CSM Disabled is required:
'Please also keep in mind that for Windows 11 following 3 settings must be changed in the BIOS: fTPM activated, CSM disabled and in ''Secure Boot'' you need to select Windows UEFI Mode. '

In this mode I cannot use the SATA controllers, I even have to remove the cards from the system to get the PC to boot.

How do I get the PC and Windows 11 to boot with the SATA controllers working ?

Do I need to change to other SATA controllers ?

Are there any SATA controllers who support pure UEFI mode ?

Or can I upgrade the Bios on the ASMEDIA / Marvell Controllers ?

The Bios upgrade / new controllers need to work also in CSM mode, because I would like to test Windows 11 on a new PCIE SSD parallel to the running Windows 10.
I wouldn’t recommend Windows 11 yet. I recently installed it on my laptop because of the new user interface (which is a little better for touchscreens). However, some of the software I use did not function normally.

Dec 10, 2021
can you try disable loading optional oproms?
it should be somewhere near CSM/boot bios settings

or you can update addon card oprom
https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...tory&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=4351&lang=en

Thank you, but

There is no such option. Bios is American Megatrends 2.20.1271 which is the latest version 2423 from 08/10/2021 for this mainboard as shown on ASUS download page.
There is an option "Boot Device Control" set to "UEFI And Legacy OPROM", but all these options are shown only when CSM is Enabled.

I have no idea how to update the card oprom and can this make the card unoperable ?
And which of the firmware versions to use ?
The link you sent me seems to be for the wrong hardware Asmedia 1062, my installed firmware is Asmedia 106x version 1.50 from 2015, which is in the middle of the table.
Is there a version which supports UEFI and where can I find info about that.

The link you sent me seems to be for the wrong hardware Asmedia 1062, my installed firmware is Asmedia 106x version 1.50 from 2015, which is in the middle of the table.
device id pls then from device manager - details page and scroll to Hardware Ids
example:
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_0624

I have no idea how to update the card oprom and can this make the card unoperable ?

same as when updating any firmware (like bios), power failure during update = bricked
firmware updates check for current hardware so it wont flash incorrect device

Is there a version which supports UEFI and where can I find info about that.

there should be some..hmm if oem provider doesnt provide any firmware updates then some chinese companies still sells those chips with updated firmwares

There is no such option. Bios is American Megatrends 2.20.1271 which is the latest version 2423 from 08/10/2021 for this mainboard as shown on ASUS download page.
There is an option "Boot Device Control" set to "UEFI And Legacy OPROM", but all these options are shown only when CSM is Enabled.

for your current hardware it should be set as this:
enable-uefi.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021
DEVICE iDs are
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_625&SUBSYS_10601B21&REV_01
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_625&SUBSYS_10601B21
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_625&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_625&CC_0106
The second controller the same

CSM is enabled
Boot device is UEFI and legacy OPROM
Boot from Network is Ignore
Boot from Storage is Legacy Only
Boot from PCI/E is UEFI Only

The only selectable Options are Ignore or Legacy only or UEFI only. There is no selectable Option UEFI driver first. In the info it says "Storage devices will run the selected type first..."

If I do not select Legacy only in Boot from Storage, the System hangs in boot, the controllers are not initialized, Windows is not started ( from PCI/E M.1 SSD).

It seems that UEFI only or CSM Disabled stops the Initialization of the controllers.
All the multiline messages displayed when the controller is started ( "ASMEDIA 106x ..." ... and the display of the connected disks with Port PMP Model Number... ) are not displayed.
It never comes to the display of the Bios messages (where I can hit F2 to get into bios ) and for sure does not start Windows. If I remove the controller cards, everything works normal.
It takes a lot longer to reach the place where I can enter F2 to get into bios, there is no message, the only way to get into bios is to repeatedly press the F2 key every second for 2-3 minutes.
Then I can reset CSM to Enabled and Storage to Legacy only.

CSM is enabled
Boot device is UEFI and legacy OPROM
Boot from Network is Ignore
Boot from Storage is Legacy Only
Boot from PCI/E is UEFI Only

The only selectable Options are Ignore or Legacy only or UEFI only. There is no selectable Option UEFI driver first. In the info it says "Storage devices will run the selected type first..."

If I do not select Legacy only in Boot from Storage, the System hangs in boot, the controllers are not initialized, Windows is not started ( from PCI/E M.1 SSD).

It seems that UEFI only or CSM Disabled stops the Initialization of the controllers.
All the multiline messages displayed when the controller is started ( "ASMEDIA 106x ..." ... and the display of the connected disks with Port PMP Model Number... ) are not displayed.
It never comes to the display of the Bios messages (where I can hit F2 to get into bios ) and for sure does not start Windows. If I remove the controller cards, everything works normal.
It takes a lot longer to reach the place where I can enter F2 to get into bios, there is no message, the only way to get into bios is to repeatedly press the F2 key every second for 2-3 minutes.
Then I can reset CSM to Enabled and Storage to Legacy only.
you are booting from mainboard connected drive, right?
if yes, then set storage as uefi and pci-e as ignore
bios wont see those drives, but windows should see them

Dec 10, 2021
you are booting from mainboard connected drive, right?
if yes, then set storage as uefi and pci-e as ignore
bios wont see those drives, but windows should see them
I am booting from Samsung evo 970 in NVME M.1 2280 slot, is that not PCI-E ?
Is storage only the Sata ports on the mainboard ?
Are the Sata drives on the ASMEDIA controller PCI-E or are they storage ?

Dec 10, 2021
I am booting from Samsung evo 970 in NVME M.1 2280 slot, is that not PCI-E ?
Is storage only the Sata ports on the mainboard ?
Are the Sata drives on the ASMEDIA controller PCI-E or are they storage ?
Or is Storage evkerything on the mainboard including Sata and Nvme and pci-e is everything on the Asmedia controllers ?

Dec 10, 2021
storage is everything mainboard detects as storage, sata, m2
pcie witn no efi oprom bios wouldnt see

Okay I tried your settings. With storage uefi only and pcie ignore I still get the black screen of death, no messages displayed, no action. Only when repeatedly pressing F2 every second I can get into bios after 1-2 minutes and manually select to boot from nvme ssd windows. With the sata cards removed, I get the Bios messages after 10 seconds and windows boot follows automatically.
So even with storage uefi only and pcie ignore the controllers seem to stop the booting process.

If I select storage legacy only and pcie ignore the controllers display their messages, this takes about 30 seconds, then the American Megatrends bios messages appear and booting proceeds automatically to windows.

Dec 10, 2021
Okay I tried your settings. With storage uefi only and pcie ignore I still get the black screen of death, no messages displayed, no action. Only when repeatedly pressing F2 every second I can get into bios after 1-2 minutes and manually select to boot from nvme ssd windows. With the sata cards removed, I get the Bios messages after 10 seconds and windows boot follows automatically.
So even with storage uefi only and pcie ignore the controllers seem to stop the booting process.

If I select storage legacy only and pcie ignore the controllers display their messages, this takes about 30 seconds, then the American Megatrends bios messages appear and booting proceeds automatically to windows.

Sorry I was wrong.
Booting with uefi only and pcie ignore works, but it is very slow. I accidentally found out to wait long enough. Instead of 30 seconds in legacy only mode it takes over 3 minutes with the black screen of death, then the windows boot proceeds. I do not know for what bios waits that long but I assume it waits for the controllers. The disks are accessible in windows. I found that the 3-4 minutes are also the delay until bios reacts to the F2 key to change settings.
So overall with uefi only booting takes 4 minutes instead of 40 seconds with legacy only.

Do you have any idea how I can shorten this long delay ?