Question PCIe slot not being activated after PC has been off or asleep for a while ?

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Hi all,

I'm experiencing a problem with my Gigabyte B560M Aorus Elite. Everytime my PC has been off or asleep for a while (say, the whole night), the 2nd pcie x16 slot (running at x4) is not activated when the pc boots up or wakes up from sleep mode - my wifi6 card is installed in that slot (the x1 slot is too close to the gpu). The only workaround I could come up with is shut down the computer (reboot won't work) and power it back up. The main pcie slot where the gpu is installed seems unaffected by this problem. The graphics card works as intended.
I tried to edit the power management settings in the bios, unsuccessfully. The problem persists with ErP either enabled or disabled. Bios version is the latest available.

When the pc has been off or asleep for, say, 20 minutes and then is powered up, everything works as it should. No need for me to repeat the shut down/power up cycle.

The wifi card is not faulty. I've installed it on another motherboard and used it for a few days, and it works fine. TIA.

Last edited:

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
ok so have you tried turning off fast start in Windows and fast boot in bios?
So, Windows fast startup was already disabled, and turning off fast boot in bios (it was enabled) didn't fix the problem. The problem only occurs when the pc has been off or asleep for hours. If I have just put it to sleep or recently powered it down, the pc will work just fine once it's booted up.

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
What windows power setting do you use? If you go into power settings, advanced options, you can try under Wireless Adapter Settings -Power Saving Mode-Max Performance, under Sleep-allow wake timers-enable, under Pci Express- Link state Power Management- off.
So, I tried all of the above, unsuccessfully, but I actually managed to solve the problem by connecting the USB cable from the WiFi card (for Bluetooth) to another USB header on the motherboard. On boot, the device now powers up no problem. I have no idea why that happens, whether the two USB headers are managed differently or it's just that I have a faulty motherboard. Thing is, it now works just fine at least.
Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch