pcie slot or GPU or something else?

Jul 28, 2018
1 year ago I changed my gtx750 from my Asus ROG g20AJ to a 1060 6gb. It was running well until recently until my PC shut down by itself and my video card stopped outputting video. I tested my video card in my cousins PC and it works, but not with my pc. I also tested my old 750 with my PC and still no video. I thought it was the power supply, but now I think it's the motherboard/PCIE slot. Can someone confirm my hypothesis.

Solution
That is running things very tight. You should always have some head room on a power supply. I would not run a GTX 1060 with less than a 450w PSU and even that is pushing it a little imo. Power draw spikes could put you past the rated wattage for those power bricks. And those bricks can't cool them selves like a standard PSU can, add to that there age. That's no headroom on power supplies that can't cool off properly running full tilt. My guess is if the power bricks are good the power was unstable enough to take out your PCIE based on the information you provided.

dragonstar914

Proper
Jun 24, 2018
How much is your PSU rated for? You may want to check your PSU with a tester. You went from a card that uses around 75w to one that around 120w. A power issue can kill a PCIE slot when using a graphics card.

Jul 28, 2018
The minimum is 400watts with the 1060 and my PSU is 410watts because it uses two external power supplies, because of the form factor of the computer it's an Asus rog g20AJ if you want to see for yourself

dragonstar914

Proper
Jun 24, 2018
That is running things very tight. You should always have some head room on a power supply. I would not run a GTX 1060 with less than a 450w PSU and even that is pushing it a little imo. Power draw spikes could put you past the rated wattage for those power bricks. And those bricks can't cool them selves like a standard PSU can, add to that there age. That's no headroom on power supplies that can't cool off properly running full tilt. My guess is if the power bricks are good the power was unstable enough to take out your PCIE based on the information you provided.

Solution