Question PCIe slots stopped working

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
So while I was watching a video and also downloading something for a game, my display just suddenly white screened? It looked static and a small squared static was also now my cursor. I forced shutdown and restarted my pc only to find it not posting and not beeping anything, after removing the graphics card it finally booted up. A few contemplation of my life choices and CMOS resets lead me to a conclusion that my graphics card has died and in need of replacements.

After trying on a network card as a "replacement" for now it also didn't word, this has lead me to another conclusion is that the motherboard PCIe connection has broken off somewhere. Now I couldn't test whether my graphics card was the problem because the only accessible pc to other than mine was a dell slim/pre built. Also, the old PCI standard was still working because my pci to 4 usb expansion card was still working.

I wanted to get some opinions around this because I was offered 2000 Philippine pesos (around 37 usd) for an rx580 4gb, but my current build has no 8 pins for it and since christmas and new year is coming soon I thought to myself to have a roadmap to build a new pc around this graphics card. Other than that, I wanted to know some of anyone's opinions and hypothesis on why this happened

PC:
  • amd a8-3820
  • radeon r7 240
  • jetway ta55m-l
  • fortress gpl-3cmsf
  • walram ssd 120gb
  • Western Digital hdd 320gb
  • Seagate hdd 500gb
Windows 10 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2364)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

At the next sucessful boot look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events.

Especially any errors etc. that were captured just before or at the time of the white screening.

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

At the next sucessful boot look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events.

Especially any errors etc. that were captured just before or at the time of the white screening.
my PSU is a Fortress 700w that came with this pc when I bought this (from a computer cafe at the start of online classes)

I have 3 drives, 1 SSD and 2 HDDs, I've listed the maker and capacity abot but I don't know the model of this drives.

Reliability History reports Windows was not properly shut down and failed to start because of a problem with the hard disk but thats probably when I frantically tried to restart my pc.

Event Viewer showed more information:
My motherboard's ethernet port is reporting Hardware IO error but it is currently working.
This? The AODDriver4.3 service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified.
and this warning before everything went downhill, Display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
A bunch of Service Control manager errors that range from this,
The Dhcp service depends on the AFD service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning, to this,
The IKEEXT service depends on the nsi service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Ralston18

Titan
My first thought is that the PSU the likely culprit.

Not familar with the manufacturer. Did not note any positive reviews or Tier rankings at any level.

For the most part, varying errors and increasing numbers of errors is a sign of a failed/faltering PSU.

And the source of the PC probably indicates a history of heavy use and abuse.

If at all possible, try installing another known working (at load) PSU for testing purposes.

Also - FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

PSU's can be tested to some extent if you have or know someone with a multi-meter and the knowledge to use the multi-meter.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not underload. However, any voltage out of tolerance makes the PSU even more suspect.

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
Unfortunately I don't have any spare PSUs around, although I did notice something, while I was posting this, the old PCU standard also gave out, it was just used for an external power for my 5w speakers and a webcam. I noticed that the mics are working properly. However, upon trying to view the camera it started looping from glowing blue(this indicates that the camera was used) to off.

I'm leaning towards your PSU culprit, since it was half functional. Maybe a connection or 2 from the 24pin + 4 power connector gave out?

TRENDING THREADS