Question PCIe sound card options

jeremy.woolf1

Prominent
Nov 29, 2018
Hi everyone

I'm about to build a new PC.

I currently have a "studio quality" soundcard, which outputs to a Roksan amplifier, which powers my Monitor Audio speakers.

However a lot of the features on the soundcard I don't use - I only use the RCA outputs. This is the soundcard https://www.rme-audio.de/hdsp-9632.html

The latest motherboards don't have PCI slots, so I'll probably replace the card with a PCIe card.

I'm looking for suggestions for PCIe cards that have as good or nearly as good audio quality as my current card. I'll then sell my current card.

Last edited:
If u have amplifier and studio speakers, then u can stick with integrated soundcard, just keep soundcard on low volume so u wont get noise through analog once u amplify it
sound quality should be fine
or do u need any extra features?
dedicated sound cards pretty much are about headphones and radar to pinpoint your enemies and RGB :p

Which Roksan model do you have? If you want good quality output for your amp, you may want to look into getting an external DAC instead of an add-on sound card. iFi just came out with a lower price model called Zen that should be good for your use, connect the amp to the rear RCA and set it to fixed mode, and you can use headphones on it as well.

Last edited:

jeremy.woolf1

Prominent
Nov 29, 2018
It's a Roksan Kandy K2 integrated amp.

My current soundcard (RME 9632) is amazing quality but on my new build I'll be losing the PCI slot. I'm going to try a PCI to PCIe adapter but I'm not confident it'll work (there are also space issues as the adapter is meant for a half profile PCI card).

I'd rather have a PCIe soundcard if possible..,tidier in my computer/desk area! I've also got RCA cables running around the room already, buried behind the skirting board! However I could put the DAC on top of my PC if necessary. And then run an optical to that you're suggesting? The new mobo I'm looking at has one I think.

Although my preferred solution would definitely be another internal soundcard.

It's a Roksan Kandy K2 integrated amp.

My current soundcard (RME 9632) is amazing quality but on my new build I'll be losing the PCI slot. I'm going to try a PCI to PCIe adapter but I'm not confident it'll work (there are also space issues as the adapter is meant for a half profile PCI card).

I'd rather have a PCIe soundcard if possible..,tidier in my computer/desk area! I've also got RCA cables running around the room already, buried behind the skirting board! However I could put the DAC on top of my PC if necessary. And then run an optical to that you're suggesting? The new mobo I'm looking at has one I think.

Although my preferred solution would definitely be another internal soundcard.

A nice looking external DAC can actually be a bonus sitting on a desk, take a look at that iFi Zen DAC, it's not just a generic black box.

If you do want an internal sound card, really any of the top cards are pretty equal in quality, ASUS Essense has great specs and has an amp to drive headphones nicely, but it's in the $200 range. If you listen to headphones as well as speakers often I'd go with an external device. For internal cards really anything in the upper range will have good electronics and good enough audio if you want to stick with an internal card, around $50 and up range from Asus, sound blaster, EVGA has a new one called NU that has good specs.

Last edited:

jeremy.woolf1

Prominent
Nov 29, 2018
Thanks for the reply :)

The iFi Zen DAC does look nice to be fair. The input is a USB though? I was expecting an optical input. So I would plug it into my computer with a USB --> USB cable and then set it as an audio device? Haven't dealt with a device like this before!

I'm not bothered about a headphone output and the issue with most PCIe sound cards is that they're designed for surround sound systems. I just need a nice simple analog output for my amp and speakers :)

The Zen DAC is definitely an option but if possible, I'd prefer an internal card.

I've just seen the Asus card I think you were referring, they do two versions, I didn't realise one was primarily stereo!

https://www.asus.com/uk/Essence-Hi-Fi-Audio/Xonar_Essence_STX/

This the one you mean?

That does look like a good option..£50 cheaper and I would've been sold! Any others out there?

Thanks for the reply :)

The iFi Zen DAC does look nice to be fair. The input is a USB though? I was expecting an optical input. So I would plug it into my computer with a USB --> USB cable and then set it as an audio device? Haven't dealt with a device like this before!

I'm not bothered about a headphone output and the issue with most PCIe sound cards is that they're designed for surround sound systems. I just need a nice simple analog output for my amp and speakers :)

The Zen DAC is definitely an option but if possible, I'd prefer an internal card.

I've just seen the Asus card I think you were referring, they do two versions, I didn't realise one was primarily stereo!

https://www.asus.com/uk/Essence-Hi-Fi-Audio/Xonar_Essence_STX/

This the one you mean?

That does look like a good option..£50 cheaper and I would've been sold! Any others out there?

Warning, this is a never ending hole of stuff you can look at and pick from LOL

Those external DACs with USB take over the sound card on the computer, it's just added in as a different audio device for anything you plug into it. They do make some other DACs you can use with an optical input, this model for example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074WD7VN...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

61jgROWuAGL._SL1500_.jpg

There are quite a lot of external DACs you can look at at prices from about 60-600 and up that you can pick and be in good shape with. The stuff that starts to become good enough were you can tell the difference from the cheaper one is abut the 200 range, but even the cheaper ones have a very low distortion level and noise floor for a clean output to your amp.

The issue with cheaper sound cards is the shielding and output options and quality of the components used, that falls off in stuff under 100 and 200 ranges. That is what makes external DACs better than pretty much every internal sound card, they don't need to worry about noise from the motherboard or other components in the computer.

I would still suggest a combo dac and headphone amp so you can use it with headphones, since you own a good amp and speaker I would bet you would enjoy good headphone sound as well at times, and having that option is better than not. Mid range for those is about 300ish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LEDXO...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

There are other form factors and designs for DACs like this one from SMSL

51uYrID37PL._SL1003_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremy.woolf1

TRENDING THREADS