PCIe spacing for GPU

imperiects

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I am in the process of upgrading my PC. I am trying to work out the distance between the PCIe slots on a Z370 Extreme4 motherboard before I shop for a new gpus for nvlink. I have been unable to find anything definitive on slot spacing. Any help would be appreciated. Most gpu I have looked at take from 2-2.75 slots. I want to make sure I have plenty of room for sli config (with space for air cooling between GPU).

Solution
AFAIK PCIe slot spacing is standard on ATX motherboards. ATX is a standard and includes MicroATX. You simply count the slots. There may be more or less on a motherboard.

The first full length PCIe slot on your motherbaord has two more slot spaces below it (even though one space doesn't have a slot you still count it) before the second full length PCIe slot. Same with the Second slot, there are two more slot spaces after it. So if you count the used slot plus the two beside it you can fit two triple slot GPUs on your motherboard. Or two double-slot plus one single-slot.

V2ERVIV.jpg
AFAIK PCIe slot spacing is standard on ATX motherboards. ATX is a standard and includes MicroATX. You simply count the slots. There may be more or less on a motherboard.

The first full length PCIe slot on your motherbaord has two more slot spaces below it (even though one space doesn't have a slot you still count it) before the second full length PCIe slot. Same with the Second slot, there are two more slot spaces after it. So if you count the used slot plus the two beside it you can fit two triple slot GPUs on your motherboard. Or two double-slot plus one single-slot.

V2ERVIV.jpg

Solution
With a 3 slot GPU (or 2.75) you aren't using 3 slots or 2.75 slots, you are using one slot and covering up the other 2 or 1.75 making them unusable. So as long as you don't need the covered slots you can use up to two 3-slot GPUs. I'm unsure if a 2.75 slot makes the third slot unusable. I would think so.