[SOLVED] PCIe SSD drive disappears when booting from clone of C drive, weird!?

Apr 16, 2021
I just cloned my Windows 10 C drive to a larger drive, exact clone on new drive. If I boot from that new cloned OS drive one of my drives (a 1gb PCIe SSD) disappears, however, if I boot from the old C it shows back up.

I looked at the rouge drive in AOMEI Partition Assistant 9.1 when booting on the old C drive, it says it's volume 13, and the mount point gives what looks like a registry entry. Is it possible that is a registry entry that is missing

Any ideas on how to get that drive visible again?

Thanks
SM

Solution
Solved:
I updated everything that was out of date on the Prime Z370A, I believe that the Intel Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller was the update that brought it back

Thanks again for the nudges and leads!

USAFRet

Titan
I just cloned my Windows 10 C drive to a larger drive, exact clone on new drive. If I boot from that new cloned OS drive one of my drives (a 1gb PCIe SSD) disappears, however, if I boot from the old C it shows back up.

I looked at the rouge drive in AOMEI Partition Assistant 9.1 when booting on the old C drive, it says it's volume 13, and the mount point gives what looks like a registry entry. Is it possible that is a registry entry that is missing

Any ideas on how to get that drive visible again?

Thanks
SM
Is the old C drive still connected?

Specific drives and motherboard?

Apr 16, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to help...

rgd1101 - If I boot from the old C drive, yes I see PCIe SSD in the device manager list under disk drives and when I boot from the new (cloned C) then it is not in the device manager list but there is an unknown device with a !

I left out one detail, I think that once I cloned the C and it had more space when i booted from it then it downloaded the latest win 10 update and maybe that kicked by PCIe SSD out of the list? Maybe the driver is know missing or something like that?

USAFRet - the old C is still connected so I can swap in the bios boot order to boot from either and my Mobo is Asus Prime Z370-A

Once again, thank you for helping me through the issue! Any idea would be appreciated
SM

Apr 16, 2021
Yes I didn't know that. I have 5 drives total connected and the old C is still connected, coming up as L: right now and I was going to format it and reuse it as storage

4 of the 5 drives shows up with no issues but just the PCIe SSD. So, I assume that I can get windows to see the drive again? hopefully without popping the lid and physically removing itit. There is a new bios from last month - should i update that? or maybe find the PCIe driver maybe?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes I didn't know that. I have 5 drives total connected and the old C is still connected, coming up as L: right now and I was going to format it and reuse it as storage

4 of the 5 drives shows up with no issues but just the PCIe SSD. So, I assume that I can get windows to see the drive again? hopefully without popping the lid and physically removing itit. There is a new bios from last month - should i update that? or maybe find the PCIe driver maybe?
Power off.
Physically disconnect ALL drives except for the new C drive.
Power up.

Does it boot correctly?

Apr 16, 2021
Solved:
I updated everything that was out of date on the Prime Z370A, I believe that the Intel Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller was the update that brought it back

Thanks again for the nudges and leads!

Solution