[SOLVED] PCIe to M.2 Adapter. Any disadvantages? Overheating issues?

Sep 9, 2019
Hello,

I'd like to buy 2 M.2 SSDs. One I'll be using for media and project files (working in After Effects) and another for disk cache (constant writing to the drive). However, my motherboard (Z170 PRO GAMING) has only one M.2 slot. Would it be OK to buy a cheap PCIe to M.2 adapter (something like this) and use an SSD for disk (Corsair Force Series MP510 240GB) with the adapter? Is this adapter compatible with my motherboard (Z170 PRO GAMING)? Will I get the same transfer speeds or it'll bottleneck an NVMe SSD?

And what about overheating? I have Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce installed into a PCI-E x16 slot. Or it would be better to pay extra and get add-in-card SSD (the only option I have in mind is AORUS RGB AIC NVMe).

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Assuming that the adapter is working as advertised you should get the full speed of the ssd as it is using the same pcie lanes do note that the adapter you linked is not pcie x16 but x4

Overheating is a good point, it might be an issue if it's too close to the gpu but anyway you can get an adapter with heatsink

tshinhar

Honorable
May 27, 2015
Assuming that the adapter is working as advertised you should get the full speed of the ssd as it is using the same pcie lanes do note that the adapter you linked is not pcie x16 but x4

Overheating is a good point, it might be an issue if it's too close to the gpu but anyway you can get an adapter with heatsink

Reactions: Z3am
Solution
Sep 9, 2019

I see, thank you! So I need to get the M.2 to PCIe 3.0 x16 (not x4) adapter, right? But what's the difference? The Aorus RGB AIC NVMe SSD uses PCIe 3.0 x4 interface. Is it because my motherboard doesn't support x4 interface? Will this adapter do the job?

tshinhar

Honorable
May 27, 2015
I see, thank you! So I need to get the M.2 to PCIe 3.0 x16 (not x4) adapter, right? But what's the difference? The Aorus RGB AIC NVMe SSD uses PCIe 3.0 x4 interface. Is it because my motherboard doesn't support x4 interface? Will this adapter do the job?

You absolutely can use a x4 adapter for that ssd as the motherboard m.2 port uses the same x4 interface and that's enough for nvme ssd
I was just pointing out that the adapter you linked is a x4 and not x16 so you should not plug it in to a x16 slot

It's completely up to you both adapters would work and give you the same performance they are just made for different slots

Reactions: Z3am
Sep 9, 2019
You absolutely can use a x4 adapter for that ssd as the motherboard m.2 port uses the same x4 interface and that's enough for nvme ssd
I was just pointing out that the adapter you linked is a x4 and not x16 so you should not plug it in to a x16 slot

It's completely up to you both adapters would work and give you the same performance they are just made for different slots
Great! Thanks

TRENDING THREADS