Question PCIE Wifi adapter Dropping Packets

blackpearljack

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
I have recently added a TP-Link TL-WN881ND 300Mbps network card to my PC and Although the signal is strength is very good, I am experiencing constant lag spikes and packet drops. The lag spikes and packet loss are very noticeable while gaming. To test the packet loss, I did ping on google.com and noticed that on an average about 10% of the packets are getting lost (I did not notice any such losses on my laptop placed at the same location as my PC). It is not a one-time thing, because I did test it at random intervals throughout the day and the results are similar to packet loss ranging from 0% to 15%). I am not sure why that is happening. It would be great if someone could point out the issue.

Some potential reasons why that could be happening are:
  1. WIFI adapter is too close to my GPU (GTX 1660 Ti). There is a very small gap between them. Could the heat generated by it be causing any such issues?
  2. The router is placed upstairs in the bedroom (because it is the only place with wall socket). Could the distance between the router and wireless adapter be causing the issue?
So, my question is How do I fix it? Once again I have two potential solutions. I don't know which one is better. it would be great if someone could suggest one (If there is a better solution please suggest that one as well).
  1. Get another Wireless card with more bandwidth and better range
  2. Get a wifi range extender and connect the range extender to my PC either via Ethernet cable (I think some come with RJ45 sockets ) or Wifi (possibly reducing the range)
I know that the wired connection is the solution for this. But it is not an option because of the restrictions put by our landlord. Thanks

More relevant info that may be helpful:
My PC Specs:
CPU: I7 4790
Mobo: As Rock H81M (Has 1 PCIE x16 and 1 PCIE x1)
GPU: Nvidia (ASUS) GTX 1660 TI connected to PCIe x16
WIFI Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 300Mbps connected to PCIe x1

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS