Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2020
Basic setup:

B450M DS3H (BIOS rev F51 from 8/3/2020)
Ryzen 3 3200G
Intel AX200 PCIe Wifi 6 card.
Ubuntu 20.04

I have a really bizarre situation. I am building six identical machines with the above hardware. I have the same issue on all six.

The PCIe network cards will only work if I plug them in after the system has already been powered on (hot plug)! If I plug in the card into the slot while it's powered off, then hit the power button, it is as if the card is not plugged in at all. The blue power LED turns on, but the bios and linux kernel do not see it, and it does not show at all in lspci or lshw.

However, if the system is already on and running, and I pull the card out and put it back in, it works perfectly! I can even do a soft restart and it will still be recognized, as long as the power doesn't fully turn off.

It's like the BIOS is not recognizing the card when the system is powered on, or the card is not starting up fast enough for the BIOS to see it? I honestly have no idea what to make of this. Any suggestions?

I have already tried a few different models of network cards (all AX200 chips though), and I have also put the network card into my gaming rig just to test it and it works perfectly there. It seems to be some combination of this Motherboard, CPU, and AX200.

I have six machines ready to go that need your help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The PCIe network cards will only work if I plug them in after the system has already been powered on (hot plug)
You should never plug in devices into a powered up system unless the functionality is certified such as hot swap bays.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

include a link to wifi card that you're working with and which slot it's populating on the board. See if reflashing the BIOS with the latest version and then removing the CMOS battery after powering down(and disconnecting from the wall) to replace after 15 mins helps your cause.

Basic setup:

B450M DS3H (BIOS rev F51 from 8/3/2020)
Ryzen 3 3200G
Intel AX200 PCIe Wifi 6 card.
Ubuntu 20.04

I have a really bizarre situation. I am building six identical machines with the above hardware. I have the same issue on all six.

The PCIe network cards will only work if I plug them in after the system has already been powered on (hot plug)! If I plug in the card into the slot while it's powered off, then hit the power button, it is as if the card is not plugged in at all. The blue power LED turns on, but the bios and linux kernel do not see it, and it does not show at all in lspci or lshw.

However, if the system is already on and running, and I pull the card out and put it back in, it works perfectly! I can even do a soft restart and it will still be recognized, as long as the power doesn't fully turn off.

It's like the BIOS is not recognizing the card when the system is powered on, or the card is not starting up fast enough for the BIOS to see it? I honestly have no idea what to make of this. Any suggestions?

I have already tried a few different models of network cards (all AX200 chips though), and I have also put the network card into my gaming rig just to test it and it works perfectly there. It seems to be some combination of this Motherboard, CPU, and AX200.

I have six machines ready to go that need your help!
I see that you are on the latest Bios. have you tried all 3 PCIe slots ?
Have you read what your manual says about the configuration of the PCI express slots in the Bios ?
I suspect that, as you use the 3200G without graphic card, the PCIE are somehow disabled at boot time

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020
I see that you are on the latest Bios. have you tried all 3 PCIe slots ?
Have you read what your manual says about the configuration of the PCI express slots in the Bios ?
I suspect that, as you use the 3200G without graphic card, the PCIE are somehow disabled at boot time

Yes, I have tried all slots. There is no real PCI configuration in this BIOS except setting the PCI version (1,2,3) and I tried each one.

Sep 7, 2020
Fast boot is fully disabled, and I tried enabling and re-disabling it. I feel like I've played with every single setting possible, every combination, and the card just isn't recognized when the system is powered on. If I quickly pull the card out and put it back in while the PC is on, it works fine.

Still looking for help and ideas on this issue. Wifi cards are confirmed to work in my MSI motherboard, but not these Gigabyte ones.

Sep 7, 2020
Did you manage to find a solution? I have the exact same problem.... So frustrating

Yes and no. To be honest, I just used the computers for a day or so with the cards "hotplugged" and working, and somehow they just started working on cold boot by themselves. It's very bizarre and I have no explanation. Had the same experience with 6 identical setups.

Feb 8, 2021
Same problem AX200 wifi card not being recognized at start-up, however there is one step better then unplugging an plugging the card with motherboard powered. Just put your pc in sleep mode and wake it up right after. It will pick up the card, still annoying but better then risking frying your board.

Reactions: Alpha_Tay
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS