[SOLVED] PCIe x16 reboot Issue with GTX 1070 ?

Jan 24, 2021
Hi guys

I have a annoying problem where my computer reboots shortly after windows 10 loads with the GTX 1070 in the main PCIe x16 slot and drivers installed, but works fine with it in the PCIe x4 slot ?

I7 8700
Gigabyte h370 aorus gaming 3 wifi
Gigabyte geforce gtx 1070 windforce x2
8x2 ddr4 3200 g-skill trident rgb
Fsp 650 watt 80 plus silver
Windows 10 64bit home

Solution
Maybe the GPU's peak power draw when the drivers initialize it is lower on x4 vs x16 and that is just enough to get you through a system stability hump or PSU quirk.
Well it seems that your top PCIe slot is bad. You can confirm by putting another GPU in that slot to test. Try clearing CMOS although I don't believe it would help at all.

InvalidError

Titan
Power delivery is a bit more complicated than just the number of cable pins. For example, if it is a power glitch type situation where the GPU might momentarily draw 250-300W during driver initialization, it could be that having ~60 extra PCIe ground pins in a x16 slot causes enough return current from the AUX cable to go through the motherboard instead of back out the AUX's ground pins to cause issues elsewhere.

Reactions: dotas1 and dorsai
PCI-E slot failure is exceedingly unlikely unless you know you took a lightning strike or other power event recently. A much more likely and common experience is a GPU as old as the 1070 reaching end of life and suddenly having issues.
What @InvalidError said makes sense but your input I don't think it's as correct. I had at least a dozen times bad PCIe slots and only a couple were with power surges or PSU issues(I build and "repair" PCs for friends, friends of friends and family). One was even mine, the PCIe slot of my old Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 died while I was watching a movie and when I tested other PCIe slots, were working as expected. Nothing else was damaged, no power surge, no PSU issues.

Jan 24, 2021
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

I pulled the PSU and GPU from an older system that was running fine on the x16 pcie while playing Ark survival evolved.
Ga-z87m-d3h
i7 4790
8x2 ddr3

Could the issue lie with the CPU or could bend pins cause it? I'm going to try a different PSU and maybe GPU's
I already returned a motherboard with a dead pcie x16 slot last week.

Could the issue lie with the CPU or could bend pins cause it? I'm going to try a different PSU and maybe GPU's
I already returned a motherboard with a dead pcie x16 slot last week.
It's possible a pin shifted out of place from the case being bumped when sitting or being moved around. I'm not sure how common of an issue it is, but I have seen PCIE issues, memory channels not working , system boot loops happening or system crashing randomly on at least 5 different LGA socket systems. These issues only happened after they were hit or bumped somewhat hard, being shipped from a warehouse or from sitting in a vehicle when moving house, except for the most recent, which was from pins breaking from possible weakness in the metal and 24/7 usage. Two pins looked melted.

If changing the PSU doesn't fix the issue, it could be a CPU pin problem and you should pull the CPU and check the pins for bent, broken or missing pins before reseating and repasting the CPU.

@dotas1 "I had at least a dozen times bad PCIe slots and only a couple were with power surges or PSU issues "

I have been building computers for literally decades and have never once had a pic-e, pci, or even agp slot go bad. Do you use a static wrist strap when you work on yours ?

@dorsai Of course I do use. I have been doing this for 19-20 years so it's not that I had them all in a couple of years span. The slots were bad before coming to me, the only one that failed upon me, as I said, was mine.
I got a friend that repairs PCs for a living in a major repair shop in my area. They do get bad PCIe slots occasionally. I am not sure why you had never one going bad.

Edit: you only mention building, maybe that's why?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS