Question PCIE X16 slot

Dec 14, 2021
Hello. My MB is Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H, it has 2 PCIE slots (x16 and x4). I'm not sure if the first slot is damaged.
I have an old GPU ATI HD 5770 that I can't insert into that slot. I do not hear the 'click' sound, and it's not working. But I can insert it just fine in the second slot and it's working.
Now here's the thing - I have another GPU which is dead (Toxic R9 280x), but technically I can insert it into the first slot (I can hear the 'click').

I'm going to get a new GPU and I'd rather try it on the first slot first to get better perfomance. Worst case scenario, let's say that slot is damaged in any way, can it risk my new GPU or other components?

Thanks
(edited)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021
From the motherboard specs site " The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard."

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-H97-D3H-rev-10/sp#sp

Regarding the locking into place (click?), it may be just that you aren't aligning the 5770 just right to get the locking mechanism to engage. Does the GPU work, otherwise, in the slot?

Here's the thing, at first it worked with my old GPU (HD 5770). I don't know if the GPU actually worked because I switched to the second slot for some reason before checking it well, but there was a 'click' and it turned on. Now there isn't a click and it's not turning on even with the connectors plugged in. But the thing is my other GPU R9 280x can be inserted there (there's a click) but it's dead so I don't know if this slot actually problematic or not.

I think I aligned it right, it's not like I didn't try, but anyway I'll try it again next time I'll open the case.
The thing is I'm getting a brand new GPU soon and I want to try the first slot first because I'll get better perfomance. Can I risk anything by doing that worst case scenario? I'm not sure if this slot is fine or not. And if I won't try I'll never know, maybe it's good

Dec 14, 2021
When you open the case next, make sure there is no debris/dust/etc in the slot itself that could be obstructing a proper fit. Good luck.

I tried to clean the dust on my case with a hair dryer (I don't have air compressor), it seems fine though I don't think that's the issue. And as I said my R9 GPU can be inserted there so it's weird.
Thanks though