[SOLVED] PCIe1 wont work, but PCIe2 does, happens with multiple motherboards.

May 24, 2019
Hey all.
Ive had this problem the last few months and i cannot figure it out.

A few months ago, my 1080ti stopped working. I put it into a friends PC and it worked fine, and my onboard graphics worked fine as well. So i tried it in the second PCI slot and boom it worked. So my final thoughts were that the PCI slot just broke.

fast forward a few months, i sold the 1080ti and replaced it with a EVGA 1070SC. To no surprise, top PCI slot didnt work but 2nd one did. No biggie, when i get the funds i shall just replace my motherboard and all will be dandy. Today my new mobo arrives, get it all set up nice and dandy, fire it up, no display. Move my DP to onboard graphics, works fine. move GPU to 2nd PCI slot, works fine. Soooo, what in my hardware is effed up that's causing my top PCI slot to not work on multiple mobos?
could it be my PSU? Is it damaged and cant give the power that the top PCI requires? or maybe since its a new mobo I need to reinstall my OS?
UPDATE: I tried settling for the 2nd PCI slot and no it freezes on startup. So it doesn;t 100% work, but i get a few seconds of display.

Edit: Ive also tried going into BIOS and setting PCIe1 as default and to no prevail.

Specs:
i5 6600k
EVGA 1070 SC
Sandisk SSD PLUS
Gigabyte-Z170-Gaming 5 (new board)
Corsair CX600M PSU

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
UPDATE: New PSU, wasnt the issue. All good because my old one had a janky fan and needed replacing. I'm gonna rule out the GPU and go with the other guy and say it's a CPU issue.

TRENDING THREADS