Pcie12v socket on mothetboard

MichaelKnight

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
There is a 4 pin socket labeled as "Pcie12v" on my gigabyte ga-x38-dq6 motherboard. Can I use a standard peripherial connector to connect to this pcie12v socket?

My other question is: There is a psu(modular) cable which has 24pin connector on one end and 18 + 10 pin on the other end.Although on it's tiny manual it is written that it has a 20+4pin mothetboard cable , I think it's a 24 pin only model. I am not sure what I will do with the 18+10 cable, there is a 18 pin socket and on top of it there is a 10 pin socket. Should I connect both of them or just one of them (which one of them?)?

Solution
Thanks for your answers.

Wolfshadw wrote:
You shouldn't need the additional cable. Just use the 24 (20+4) pin cable to connect to your motherboard. It's likely the power supply was just giving you the cable on the off chance you had a different motherboard with differing power requirements.

Actually there is one cable and 18+10pin connectors are on the one end and 24pin connector is on the other end.

I did a bit research on internet and found that the 18+10pin on one end of the cable was the psu manufacturer/designer's choice for splitting the power in the psu. Some people also say that the additional 4pin ( 24pin vs 18+10(28) pin) for sensing the voltage.and also someone wrote that splitting of the the connector in psu is...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
You dont need to connect the 4 pin to the pcie12v header, totally unnecessary for a single gpu setup. It add's more power to the pcie slots which can be helpful for multi gpu setups.

As for your second question I am a little confused. Can you take a picture of that cable and post it. The 24pin connector goes into the motherboard and the other side should plug into the psu if it is a modular 24pin cable.

Wolfshadw

Titan
There is a 4 pin socket labeled as "Pcie12v" on my gigabyte ga-x38-dq6 motherboard. Can I use a standard peripherial connector to connect to this pcie12v socket?

Yes. That is the correct PSU connector to use

My other question is: There is a psu(modular) cable which has 24pin connector on one end and 18 + 10 pin on the other end.Although on it's tiny manual it is written that it has a 20+4pin mothetboard cable , I think it's a 24 pin only model. I am not sure what I will do with the 18+10 cable, there is a 18 pin socket and on top of it there is a 10 pin socket. Should I connect both of them or just one of them (which one of them?)?

You shouldn't need the additional cable. Just use the 24 (20+4) pin cable to connect to your motherboard. It's likely the power supply was just giving you the cable on the off chance you had a different motherboard with differing power requirements.

-Wolf sends

MichaelKnight

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for your answers.

Wolfshadw wrote:

Actually there is one cable and 18+10pin connectors are on the one end and 24pin connector is on the other end.

I did a bit research on internet and found that the 18+10pin on one end of the cable was the psu manufacturer/designer's choice for splitting the power in the psu. Some people also say that the additional 4pin ( 24pin vs 18+10(28) pin) for sensing the voltage.and also someone wrote that splitting of the the connector in psu is for the purpose of using the limited physical space(for slots) of a psu efficiently.

I connected both 18pin and 10pin connectors into psu's seperate slots and 24pin into motherboard's socket.Also I connected one of the peripherial cables into motherboard's pcie12v socket(like Wolfshadw confirmed). And when I turned the system on, everything worked fine.

Solution