Question Pcie4 nvme in a pcie3 slot

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
OK so I know if I use a samsung 990 or 980 pcie4 in a pcie3 slot I won't bennifit from the increased sustained r/w speeds but I'm wondering if I will bennifit from like the iops and other stuff that normaly slow down on a 970evo like random r/w or a high que depth and such?

Last edited:
Solution
Only difference is the controller on the ssd and how it handles data. Not at all something you would compare anyway because you'll not notice a difference between this or that model.

Apart from Direct Storage depending on game and adoption, main ssd benefits = random access. Random access performance is similar across all ssd types and interfaces. It's what matters in games.

Direct Storage will matter in near future.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Only difference is the controller on the ssd and how it handles data. Not at all something you would compare anyway because you'll not notice a difference between this or that model.

Apart from Direct Storage depending on game and adoption, main ssd benefits = random access. Random access performance is similar across all ssd types and interfaces. It's what matters in games.

Direct Storage will matter in near future.

Solution

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Well I do more than games in crazy bout security so I routinely clean install windows handful a times a year as well as multitasking music ect I know bout direct storage but I wonder as this would be future proof to I wonder though since random access of a pcie3 like the 970 don't usualy hit 3kmbs maybe 1to2k and the iops are like 16k where as 990 is 750k so I know won't get all the performance boost or bennifit from sequential read/write but I wonder if random access and stuff that uses more iops if would he any real world bennifit given a pcie4 drive could prolly saturate the pcie3 bus with random ect