Hello, I use a Toshiba Portege A100. Can someone tell me what the PCMCIA
Adapters do? I see them in the Device Manager. Are they the same as PCMCIA
cards? I used to use a plug-in PCMCIA card for my old laptop and could
connect to the school wireless network. Can these PCMCIA adapters do the same?

The Adapters you are talking about at the PCMCIA Card Slots them selfs in the
most simple term... Long way around ... it's the chipset that controls the
card slot. They have no functionality of there own but if you stuck your old
PCMCIA card in one you should be able to get on that wireless network with it
just the same ...

Geoff "Makyver"

"Phong" wrote:

> Hello, I use a Toshiba Portege A100. Can someone tell me what the PCMCIA
> Adapters do? I see them in the Device Manager. Are they the same as PCMCIA
> cards? I used to use a plug-in PCMCIA card for my old laptop and could
> connect to the school wireless network. Can these PCMCIA adapters do the same?

Yes. You can purchase a wireless network adapter cardbus PCMCIA adapter.
There are many to choose from. I recommend BELKIN, NETGEAR, or AIRLINK101 or
any other maker that includes the Atheros Super-G chipset which is becomming
the Wi-Fi defacto standard.