PCMCIA wireless network card with external antenna ?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi,
I am looking for a PCMCIA wireless network card (802.11G) for a laptop, with
an external antenna connector . Which models provide this option?

The purpose is to extend range when using my laptop in my car. I don't want
to use an external bridge or router (I need portability).

I'didn't find any model on D-Link, SMC or Linksys web sites, bot some people
told me they have seen this... but don't remember where!

thanks.
------------------------
Daniel
Montréal (Pierrefonds), Québec, Canada

Archived from groups: (More info?)

http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/11bgpccard/

ve2bap wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for a PCMCIA wireless network card (802.11G) for a laptop, with
> an external antenna connector . Which models provide this option?
>
> The purpose is to extend range when using my laptop in my car. I don't want
> to use an external bridge or router (I need portability).
>
> I'didn't find any model on D-Link, SMC or Linksys web sites, bot some people
> told me they have seen this... but don't remember where!
>
> thanks.
> ------------------------
> Daniel
> Montréal (Pierrefonds), Québec, Canada

Senao makes a good card. (NL-2511CD PLUS EXT2) Also sold as engenius at
places

http://www.senao.com/english/product/product_wireless01_outdoor_1.asp?tp1id=02&tp2id=07&proid=000033

Can find them on ebay as well for a good price.

ve2bap wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for a PCMCIA wireless network card (802.11G) for a laptop, with
> an external antenna connector . Which models provide this option?
>
> The purpose is to extend range when using my laptop in my car. I don't want
> to use an external bridge or router (I need portability).
>
> I'didn't find any model on D-Link, SMC or Linksys web sites, bot some people
> told me they have seen this... but don't remember where!
>
> thanks.
> ------------------------
> Daniel
> Montréal (Pierrefonds), Québec, Canada

Depending on what you are trying to do you may be better with a
directional antenna (yagi or even small panel) instead on the omni in
the kit your looking at. Omni's are good for wardriving I think but if
you are just looking to access a hotspot from the car a directional may
get you better signal. I think you could put togeather something for the
same price as that kit. Again check out ebay, do a search for Senao and
you will see plenty of stuff. Also some Orinoco cards have an external
jack. I have an Orinoco Silver that works great.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Many thanks for your replies.
I found this interesting product:
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/networking/mobile-wireless-kit.php