Question PcPartPicker says PSU is incompatible no matter which one I choose! Please help!

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
I've been trying to build a PC on PCPartPicker so I can start ordering parts, I'm on a budget of around 800-1000.

I've had everything set for about a week, but no matter what psu I select, even when I go to the motherboard and specifically tell it to show PSU's that are compatible with that mobo and select one, it says it's incompatible! I'm to the point of tearing my hair out and saying screw it and sticking with the dinosaur gtx 950/amd fx6300 I'm using and just never playing newer games on it... These kinds of problems didn't even exist when I built this PC and it's driving me insane!!!!!

No matter how many connectors the PSU claims to have, PCPartPicker says it's not enough... I spent 2 days finding a motherboard that'd work out of box with the ryzen 5 3600 processor. All the builds that I found on google search for 800 dollars claimed to use a b450 or x470 chipsets on the mobo. On amazon AND newegg reviews, buyers as well as the manufacturers of the boards confirmed that they do NOT work with 3rd gen ryzen's out of box and needs an older ryzen to update bios... I'm NOT buying 2 cpu's to use a motherboard....

So I fished around a bit, found a more expensive x470 chipset that comes with 3rd gen ryzen compatibility out of box. The MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard. The "MAX" is what adds the 3rd gen support, the normal MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 is the original Mobo one of the google builds suggested, but was NOT compatible with the ryzen 5.

The MAX board is causing problems with PSU though, here is the message using the current PSU I've selected, which was under the list of PSU's compatible with that specific mobo:

"The MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard."

Can someone PLEASE help me with this??? Suggest a PSU that WILL work or suggest a different, cheap Mobo that comes with Ryzen 5 3600 support out of box?

The current build as it is on PcPartPicker website:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Mobo: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card
Case: DIYPC Skyline-06 ATX Full Tower Case
PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Mod Edit for Language

Last edited by a moderator:

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Thank you both for the speedy replies!!!!! I'll check all of those out this evening and will choose the answer I go with :)

Again, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:
Had a few mins to read replies across the board (I posted on other sites as well) and I've got 1 here and 3 in another forum all saying it's not needed, so it looks like I'll just go with the PSU that's listed in OP and hope everyone's right about just ignoring the extra 12v connector.

Thanks Dark Lord also, that PSU actually is only a couple dollars more than the one I currently have on the list, so I might go ahead and grab it. I'm pretty convinced that I don't NEED the extra connector though, so I'll decide on that later down the road. Thanks both of you :)

EDIT2: Does this site no longer have a "choose as answer" option? I can't choose either post as a solution to the question lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech