PCs are terrible technology

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LostManAbroad

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015
Okay so today I created a bootable USB stick with a program called memtest86 on it. I plugged it into my PC and exactly what I though was going to happen happened. I turned the PC on and it fired up like normal except, once again, it fails to recognize the monitor. I turned the computer back off and plugged the DVI cable into the DVI slot on the motherboard rather than the one on the graphics card. I then turned the PC back on again. Same thing again. The PC started up, it sounded exactly like a normal startup except, again it did not recognize the monitor and the screen remained black.

I think I have multiple problems. Whether there is a problem with the memory or not, it is irrelevant if I cannot get the computer to recognize the monitor as I cannot see what is happening on the screen.

Quick update - I just pulled out my old HD 15 monitor cable and tried turning the computer on with that attached instead of the DVI cable. Again the computer did not recognize the monitor. Would I be correct in assuming that this means there is a problem with my motherboard?

LostManAbroad

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015
Success!! I finally managed to get my computer to turn on long enough for me to run a memory test. I did so with only one of the DIMMs in the machine. The first one I tested failed. Then I turned off the computer and replaced the DIMM with another one and then ran the test again. I did that for each of the memory DIMMs and 3 out of the 4 passed. So I have left the broken DIMM out and am now running with the 3 working DIMMS in the machine. Now to run the computer for the rest of the evening and see if it crashes again. Hopefully this will have solved the issue though.

I do still find it weird that the computer was not detecting the monitor. I cannot understand how memory could cause that. I am hoping it could cause the problem though, and I won't find out that it is caused by another problem that I have yet to find.

No idea, let us know how you get on. I can conjure up scenarios where the failure to load some data into memory really early on in the boot process could cause it to carry on, but without something being triggered, but unless I knew precisely what happened during booting i'd only be speculating.

InvalidError

Titan

The first thing the BIOS does while booting is initialize the RAM. If bad RAM is involved in the boot process, then the PC crashes before having a chance to initialize the GPU/IGP, hence no signal.

LostManAbroad

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015
Good to know. Thank you to everyone who offered help and advice on this problem. I learned a lot about my PC and I am happy to report it is now running perfectly once again.

Robert Perry

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
If you get to the point that your completely frustrated with your PC and you love gaming u might wanna just take the easy route and get a PS4 or Xbox one less hassles less setting changes and more game time plus you'll never buy I game your computer won't run correctly that's what I did and I'm much happier for it

TRENDING THREADS