[SOLVED] PC's fan speeds up to full for just a second after every 40-50 seconds (suspected fan: cpu), help needed

wrathofliom63

Honorable
Aug 5, 2018
Hello everyone!
I have a secondary pc which I sometimes use, it's specifications:

GPU: [ASUS] Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 (1GB)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz
Ram: 8GB (2 sticks of 4s)
Model: HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT PC

Since recently, I started getting an error "Real Time clock power loss" during startup, but I'd press F1 and it'd boot and function normally without any problems, so I didnt pay much attention to it.

However, since a few weeks ago, I upgraded my PC to Windows 11 despite it being unsupported because I wanted to give it a shot of how it would work. For a few weeks, it worked perfectly. However, now, whenever I get to the password screen, my PC's fan, which I suspect to be the CPU's fan, speeds up for 1-2 seconds then calms back down. This happens after every minute or so.

I have checked my temperatures, they're all always under 40°C. This happens even when my pc is idle. I've checked task manager, there's no difference in any raise of the CPU Usage, or any components usage. It's all working normally except the fan speeding up for a second. SpeedFan does not detect my fans for some reason, I've tried many fixes but it just doesn't.

NOTE that this DOES NOT OCCUR whenever I boot into the BIOS. In Bios, no fan makes any noise of any kind whatsoever, its all smooth.

This makes me think that It's Windows 11 that's causing this, because it's installed on unsupported hardware afterall.

Can it be Windows 11? What do you guys think?

Help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
The GPU fans work when it's above 30°C perfectly, so the solution is to put a higher fan curve in a program like Fan Control or MSI Afterburner to fix the problem.

as for a permanent solution, according to my hours of research, apparently my ASUS GTX 750 has GPU Boost 2.0 which makes it so that the fan is controlled by the chipset after a driver is installed. This means that the chipset is faulty because my fan doesn't act up when I'm in BIOS or if I don't have a driver installed. someone on some forums contacted Asus Support and found out its irrepairable.

Unless you have a warranty, you may be out of luck. Unless you have a different problem than mine.

I mightve gotten some things wrong, but for the most part, I think I got it...

wrathofliom63

Honorable
Aug 5, 2018
There is no obvious troubleshooting method (imho) so I am starting at your system being older and the Real Time Power Loss notification. A motherboard battery is good for about 3 years total of being unplugged. I am not saying that is the cure but it is a cheap enough try.

OH, thanks! I changed the cmos battery which fixed the clock power loss, but the fans didn't get fixed.

I rechecked and found out that it isn't my cpu fans but actually my GPU fans. for some reason they go to 0RPM, then jump to 4000RPM, then back to 0, repeat, after every minute or so, and whenever they'd jump I'd hear the fans rev up and down.

I changed the fan curve from 22% (default) to 40%, and it seems to have fixed the issue, now fans average 1600RPM, constant. I hope this pc can survive for a while longer.

Thanks for your help though!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu fans are all different. Pwm or DC doesn't matter, it's the operating range that does. Default in a software or bios setting is for the software/bios only, doesn't necessarily mean that it works for the fans.

When you checked the temps, I'm assuming it was the cpu and not the gpu temps you looked at. Which would make sense, it seems you had an artificial fanless gpu, as in 22% default was too low to operate the fan after initial startup/bios loads, so the temp scoots up quickly, which puts the fans into operating range and the fans jump.

Or, the card does have a zero decibel/fanless mode, that was enabled (default) by the power loss and reset of the bios (battery) and your manual manipulation has now changed that to a standard mode with custom profile.

wrathofliom63

Honorable
Aug 5, 2018
Gpu fans are all different. Pwm or DC doesn't matter, it's the operating range that does. Default in a software or bios setting is for the software/bios only, doesn't necessarily mean that it works for the fans.

When you checked the temps, I'm assuming it was the cpu and not the gpu temps you looked at. Which would make sense, it seems you had an artificial fanless gpu, as in 22% default was too low to operate the fan after initial startup/bios loads, so the temp scoots up quickly, which puts the fans into operating range and the fans jump.

Or, the card does have a zero decibel/fanless mode, that was enabled (default) by the power loss and reset of the bios (battery) and your manual manipulation has now changed that to a standard mode with custom profile.

Thanks for your detailed reply!

But wait, if I had an artificial fanless gpu from the get-go, why does its fans rev up and down after 4 years? (aka now), and not from the moment I got it? What changed?

Your second opinion makes sense, since this problem came after a few weeks of when I my battery died.

So me setting it to 40%, could be what it was supposed to be set to by default the whole time? Also, I can't go below 22% fan curve for some reason. It says that some other software is controlling it.

Another thing, when I reinstalled windows 10, naturally I had no GPU drivers installed. If I recall correctly, NO fans sped up during that time. (I remember cheering that reinstalling windows 10 fixed the issue)

but now that I think about it, they started revving up and down just a few moments after I installed the drivers.

Could it be some nvidia setting is doing something? (I'm not currently home, but when I do get home ill make sure to uninstall my GPU drivers and see if the fans rev up and down.) Or are these things just normal/natural.

Thanks.

wrathofliom63

Honorable
Aug 5, 2018

OK so my theory's confirmed. uninstalled gpu drivers using DDU and I don't hear any fan revving up and down.. Does this help in finding a fix?

wrathofliom63

Honorable
Aug 5, 2018
The GPU fans work when it's above 30°C perfectly, so the solution is to put a higher fan curve in a program like Fan Control or MSI Afterburner to fix the problem.

as for a permanent solution, according to my hours of research, apparently my ASUS GTX 750 has GPU Boost 2.0 which makes it so that the fan is controlled by the chipset after a driver is installed. This means that the chipset is faulty because my fan doesn't act up when I'm in BIOS or if I don't have a driver installed. someone on some forums contacted Asus Support and found out its irrepairable.

Unless you have a warranty, you may be out of luck. Unless you have a different problem than mine.

I mightve gotten some things wrong, but for the most part, I think I got it correct.

I'd still advise any future viewers to not take this solution at face value and I advise you to research more about your problem, because it very well could be software related, or just fixable, for you.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS