PCs Getting Expensive Again, Say Analysts

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Memory prices increased by a mere 23% you say?

It seems higher than that. The same 4GB of DDR2 I purchased last spring was $36 at the time and is, is $90 now. That's more than a 200% price difference. And DDR3 of similar capacity went from ~$70 for the same to ~$100. It's a lot higher than 23%, at least on the consumer end.

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Funny, I just posted a comment on another article talking about something quite similar quite recently. Though, I mentioned that software's progression is far behind that of hardware's, meaning, buying a cheap computer doesn't mean you're getting a bad computer anymore. (assuming it is properly configured)

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
can I wait to buy a computer? not impossible

this looks like a short term kind of thing, it will probably reach equilibrium once again before the year is out.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Why did RAM jump so much. Also, recent video card offerings are disappointing. Intel is obviously holding back to keep AMD around since the i5's are so lack luster. How can the i5 memory controller suck so much.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Things are turning around? Really? Really? Lets not forget that the value of the dollar tanking makes imports more expensive.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
meh, they didn't burn down the factories did they? can't imagine it would lag too much. now volitility, and uncertainty about future numbers needed...

joshthor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
not suprised... about the memory part anyway last year ddr3 was just budding and ddr2 was super cheap, now ddr3 is being the norm and less ddr2 is being made so the prices increased drasticly for ddr2 and decreased slightly for ddr3

[citation][nom]Stardude82[/nom]Why did RAM jump so much. Also, recent video card offerings are disappointing. Intel is obviously holding back to keep AMD around since the i5's are so lack luster. How can the i5 memory controller suck so much.[/citation]
Troll much?

Part of the fun in assembling computers is shopping for the best value. DDR3 prices are basically back to their prices in spring '08; the big difference is higher freqs @lower volts (latencies are higher, though). And I've had a lot if fun with the other part: learning OCing that I think I'll play with them some more before I spend more $ on a newer system.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
What's the problem here. Why are there shortages to begin with. Prices are crap now and only getting worse. I bought a 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz memory kit a year ago for $70 and now the same kit is $150 on Newegg. That's bullshit. SSD prices keep going up. How can the demand be that high when it's still $400 for 120GB SSD?!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Most of the price increase on memory is the result of inflation from central bankers using bad methods to curb a recession. Only a little has to do with shortages.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]SSD prices keep going up. How can the demand be that high when it's still $400 for 120GB SSD?![/citation]

The demands not high, the tech sites have just hyped the crap to a new level. The manufacturers need to cover R&D, and the same people who bought in early, are the same ones buying the "new and improved" TRIM SSD lines now. The drives are nowhere near the performance and capacity to justify the price relative to other components. Wait it out, they're still trying to sell the SSDs as new tech.

grillz9909

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]It's not the PCs that are getting expensive, it's the dollar that is getting worthless.[/citation]
I agree, but when has green printed paper ever really been 'worth' anything?

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]It's not the PCs that are getting expensive, it's the dollar that is getting worthless.[/citation]

Prices are rising everywhere, not just the US. Even here in Japan, where the yen is really strong, memory has risen in price quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.