Question PC's internet turns off after loading up/doing something heavy (?)

Jan 22, 2022
Hi,

I think this is an issue with my network adapter after googling, but I'm not too sure. If I try to load a twitch vod or when I try to download a game. Even in some cases but less likely, like loading a webpage or a video, it seems like my internet shuts off.

A clearer example is when I tried to download Valorant(a game) and my internet on my just my pc would shut off and on. I have 1kdown and 1kup btw.
It would say my download would be 0.1KB/s. And then my internet would be back up and sorta normal after a bit but shortly after it'll just shut off again.

I am wired so I don't think it's an issue with my internet itself since i still have access to internet on my phone and stuff.

Disk drive: Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 inch SSD (159 GB used out of 771 GB )
PSU: CX Series™ Modular CX500M ATX Power Supply — 500 Watt 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified Modular PSU
I think it's 7-8 years old and I don't know how I would measure the condition.
Network adapter: realtek pcie gbe family controller ?..
Reliability History and Event Viewer: I couldn't find any errors relating to the internet being turned off.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system specs and full OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Make and mode network adapter? USB perhaps?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events captured when the PC internet turns (turned) off.

\

Jan 22, 2022
Update your post to include full system specs and full OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Make and mode network adapter? USB perhaps?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events captured when the PC internet turns (turned) off.

\
Sorry about that, I answered to the best of my ability, but my cousin built this computer for me about 8 years ago, so all my components are about that old, other than the SSD, which I bought about a year ago

Jan 22, 2022
Update: when I booted up my pc, I had internet and I booted up multiple things, discord, chrome, league of legends. And then my internet failed and it said that I wasn't even connected to ethernet.

I used the troubleshooter and got these results:

Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration Not fixed

Reset the "Ethernet" adapter Failed

Investigate router or broadband modem issues Failed

The default gateway is not available Not fixed

I just ordered a new external network adapter, but I'm not sure if that was the issue.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration Not fixed
Reset the "Ethernet" adapter Failed
Investigate router or broadband modem issues Failed
The default gateway is not available Not fixed

I just ordered a new external network adapter, but I'm not sure if that was the issue.

These things ALL point to a failing network interface in one way or another......

So replace the ethernet card 1st & I would bet that should correct the problem(s) you are having, although your modem and/or router could also be failing too, but I almost always start with the simplest, easiest thing 1st, then move on to the other parts....

Reactions: steven123tran
Jan 22, 2022
These things ALL point to a failing network interface in one way or another......

So replace the ethernet card 1st & I would bet that should correct the problem(s) you are having, although your modem and/or router could also be failing too, but I almost always start with the simplest, easiest thing 1st, then move on to the other parts....
I ordered a "USB to Ethernet Adapter, Foldable USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter" would that be fine or do i actually need to buy an ethernet card?

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
If you have a desktop rig, getting a pcie ethernet card to replace the failing ethernet port on the mobo would be the best, easiest, and fastest performing path forward.

However, if you are on a laptop or don't wanna go inside your machine or don't know how to install a pcie card, then the USB adapter will work, even though it will be slightly clunkier solution..... :)

TRENDING THREADS