[SOLVED] PC's power cord burnt. What to do?

Jun 6, 2020
I was having a hard time opening my PC earlier. The power cable was perfectly plugged in to the wall and I think its other end is also plugged in to the PSU perfectly. I said "I think" because I have a Xigmatek X500 PSU (https://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=183) with a socket that doesn't snap the cable in place when you put it (if that makes sense).

PC won't turn on for whatever reason so I tried to replug the cable to the PSU. After a few tries, the PC turned on.

When I opened my browser immediately after I logged in to Windows, I smelled something in my room burning and figured out later on that it was the power cable of my PC. I can see smoke appearing from the cable. Because of panic, I immediately turned off the PC by doing a full Windows shutdown from the Start menu.

I was wondering if it is just the cable that is the problem now, or is it the entire PSU? Should I just buy a new cable and everything should be safe and sound? Or should I replace my PSU entirely?

Solution
Well something must have caused the cable to burn if it was working alright before, so you have to ask yourself what caused it? One of the possible causes is that the PSU has developed a fault, and since Xigmatek PSUs are not known for being good quality, that's quite possible.

By all means try a new power cable but don't be surprised if that one also suffers the same fate if the cause lies elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong but there's no way I can assure you that you just need a new power cable.
Jun 6, 2020
Sigh. I lost my job and I can't afford buying a PSU right now.

I will buy a new one when I can but how can the PSU be the cause of the problem? Is a PSU capable of burning a power cord? Couldn't it be just a bad cable?

Well something must have caused the cable to burn if it was working alright before, so you have to ask yourself what caused it? One of the possible causes is that the PSU has developed a fault, and since Xigmatek PSUs are not known for being good quality, that's quite possible.

By all means try a new power cable but don't be surprised if that one also suffers the same fate if the cause lies elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong but there's no way I can assure you that you just need a new power cable.

Solution