Question PCs shutting down randomly

May 19, 2021
Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me with a problem iv been having with more than 1 PC. It started around christmas 2020 when my old gaming rig started randomly shutting down. It wasn’t BSOD or a loss of power, windows just decided to shutdown for no apparent reason

OLD PC Specs
Intel 4790k on 120mm AIO – not overclocked.
Asus Maximus ranger vii
GTX 960 – air cooled, not overclocked.
16GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
256 GB M.2
XFX 850W PSU
Temps were good while gaming – not higher than 60C on cpu / 65C gpu
Windows 10 Pro

I borrowed my friends’ PC with similar specs, installed my 960 and a clean install of windows but had no effect this pc done exactly the same thing – random shutdowns.

At this point we both thought it was my old 960 that was faulty and had damaged the both motherboards, CPUs, RAM or PSU and given the specs of the old PC above it was time for an upgrade.
NEW Rig Specs
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 5600x
Corsair H100i platinum 240mm AIO
Corsair vengeance LPX 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Duel channel with infinity fabric @ 1800
Strix RTX 3070 – air cooled not overclocked.
256 M.2 (Boot drive clean install windows 10 home)
2x2TB Seagate barracuda HDD
Corsair 850w 80+ gold PSU
4x120mm case fans + 1 led strip.
Needless to say this rig is brand new (1 week old) built by a company in the UK. This rig does the same thing as stated above. Iv taken it to my friends house and looped Ghost recon breakpoint benchmarking tool on a loop maybe 10 times, then 3D mark Time Spy and 3dmark stress test. Temps never got high then 60 on CPU or GPU. It lasted the full length and didn’t even flinch. So I’m satisfied the system is stable under load without random shutdowns. I’ve also checked windows power management and made sure sleep, hibernate and display turn off times are set to never and GPU drivers are all up to date.

Iv attached a pic of my BIOS to show voltages and temps at idle. Hope it helps.
Sorry for the long first post but I wanted to give you as much detail as I could. The only thing I can think of is maybe get a UPS to try and stabilize the power being supplied from the wall socket.
Any advice at this point would be great.
Thank you in advance.

Sprite2712

Sorry for the long first post but I wanted to give you as much detail as I could. The only thing I can think of is maybe get a UPS to try and stabilize the power being supplied from the wall socket.
Any advice at this point would be great.
Thank you in advance.

Sprite2712
What you said. Unless I'm missing something the issue is most likely the power being supplied from your wall socket to the PC. When you took the new PC to your friends house did you also take the power cord?

May 19, 2021
Hi ricky

No i did not take the power cord. I used his. But the cord was supplied with the pc and was brand new so i dont think it would have been the issue. I also tried different power cords with the other 2 PCs.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi ricky

No i did not take the power cord. I used his. But the cord was supplied with the pc and was brand new so i dont think it would have been the issue. I also tried different power cords with the other 2 PCs.

Thanks for the reply.
Then my guess is something isn't right with the power being supplied from your wall socket to your PC. Try a different socket in your house. You could also try your old PC at your friends house. If your old PC (and new PC) works ok in his house then it must be the power.

May 19, 2021
I'm leaning on....that there is something inherently wrong with the GPU itself.
It does the same thing on three PCs correct?

Yes same with all 3 PCs and 3 different GPUs my 960 his 1660 my brand new 3070. And tried a different socket in the house and today i had a new MCB fitted in the consumer unit and rant a brand new cable to a new wall socket so the pc had its own dedicated circuit for the PSU. Didnt make any difference. And as far as i know my frieds spare pc works fine at his house.

Yeah done it already mate.
So did you end up getting a UPS to power your computer?

If your friend's computer has no issues at his place but then suddenly has issues at your place that narrows it down. Either the power at your place has issues, or the way you use the computer causes issue. It could be a specific peripheral you are using causing issues.

Do you have any computer working flawlessly at your place?

When you say "shutdown" do you mean that windows goes through the shutdown process or that the computer randomly turns off or restarts?

Reactions: rickypicky5
So did you end up getting a UPS to power your computer?

If your friend's computer has no issues at his place but then suddenly has issues at your place that narrows it down. Either the power at your place has issues, or the way you use the computer causes issue. It could be a specific peripheral you are using causing issues.

Do you have any computer working flawlessly at your place?

When you say "shutdown" do you mean that windows goes through the shutdown process or that the computer randomly turns off or restarts?
That's the point I was trying to make.

What makes you think I'm trying to compete with you? Did you notice that I "Liked" your post prior to me posting my last post? Geez!
I guess that I thought you took issue with what I posted because you said
That's the point I was trying to make.
Which was kind of rhetorical as it was obvious I was agreeing with your post. I do a much better job of communicating in person than over text, please excuse my ineptness with conversation via text.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021
SOLVED!!

Hi guys. Sorry its been a while. I did get a UPS (APC BX Series 900w). Didn't make any difference.

I ended up getting a DE2 dirty power filter from amazon and plugging it into the wall socket next to my UPS and havnt had any issues since. Pc runs like a dream. Thanks for your help and advice. Hope this post gives someone else the answers they need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DE2-Dirty-Electricity-EMF-Filter/dp/B07R4ND3F4

Thanks again guys

Reactions: helper800

TRENDING THREADS