PE 400SC and Knoppix sound problem

I've got a Poweredge 400SC and I thought I'd give Linux a shot. After
doing some reading, it seemed like the Knoppix version was the
simplest to try. I can boot and run it off a CD without doing an
actual installation.

The only thing that I can't get to work is sound. I haven't found any
help on getting the onboard ADI sound configured correctly. If anyone
has any advice or knows of a website, I'd appreciate it.

TIA

Perhaps you can try a newsgroup for Linux?

Ted Zieglar

on Tuesday 31 August 2004 12:25 am, D. Carp wrote:

> I've got a Poweredge 400SC and I thought I'd give Linux a shot. After
> doing some reading, it seemed like the Knoppix version was the
> simplest to try. I can boot and run it off a CD without doing an
> actual installation.
>
> The only thing that I can't get to work is sound. I haven't found any
> help on getting the onboard ADI sound configured correctly. If anyone
> has any advice or knows of a website, I'd appreciate it.
>
> TIA

I'm not familiar with Knoppix, but I've installed various releases of
Mandrake Linux on about half a dozen Dell boxes of various vintages.
It's almost always the case that the audio mixer is disabled in the
software on initial installation. The candidates for the kde desktop
environment are called aumix and kmix. You find them under
multimedia|audio on the menu. I can't tell you about GNOME because I
don't use it.

In general, the place to go for linux configuration information is to
http://www.justlinux.com/ . It used to be called the Linux Newbie
Forums.

HTH,
Al
--
askrieger(at)rcn(dot)com

D. Carp wrote:
> The only thing that I can't get to work is sound. I haven't found any
> help on getting the onboard ADI sound configured correctly. If anyone
> has any advice or knows of a website, I'd appreciate it.

Can't help you with the specific problem, but you may also want to try
MandrakeMove. It booted my 400SC, including sound.

Ed