Question Peace of mind before upgrading HDD to SSD along with fresh Windows install.

Nov 15, 2021
I've been planning on doing a clear and fresh install of Windows on my gaming machine, something I like to do every few years. I'm currently on HDD drives and looking to upgrade to SSD so thought I could do both tasks simultaneously. Rather than wipe my current drives, just remove them, install SSDs and install a new Windows installation.

Before I go ahead and do this I wanted to make sure it is as simple as I've stated, as I've hit pitfalls before when changing things. I just want to be sure my Motherboard won't throw a fit, suddenly being part of a "new build" or anything like that.

Thanks.

taylorjohnston54

Honorable
Apr 28, 2016
As long as you reinstall windows on the new drive you should be fine. just make sure if you reuse the old drive with the old os on it to format it first. as 2 drives with os's can go wonky on you.

Reactions: AndyTPOG

dwd999

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
The good news is that your windows is linked to your motherboard, so there won't be any problems with activation. The main problem is that windows is fussy about installation and really likes you to have only one drive connected at installation time. Other drives can be added after installation is complete.

Nov 15, 2021
Thanks both. To clarify, would I have to use my existing windows product key? Or will my motherboard accept a completely new installation?

taylorjohnston54

Honorable
Apr 28, 2016

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS