Pease help with Windows formatting

Hi, my name is Tom
I was wandering how i could fix a problem.
What happens is when i want to format, about a quarter
way in through the process it it gives me an option to
Delete or make a partition.
Now my C drive is the 1 that needs to be Deleted and Re-
partitioned and as i try to delete it says" cannot do
requested option" because installation files are on the
computer to that are needed to format.

Now my brother and sister have both done it and it works.

How can i remove these "installation" files?

Thankyou

Regards;
Tom

And im running Windows XP

Damien

hi tom,

what way are you trying to format? from within windows?
If so, then you can't. windows won't let you format it
while its in use.
Instead you can use an XP CD and boot up using that.
It'll give you the option to delete and/or format a
partition before re-installing. Otherwise, get yourself
a windows 98 bootup disk or something similar (you can
download one if you need to) and format using that.
Maybe copy fdisk.exe to the disk and use that to delete
and re-create the partition.

Damien

The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete the existing
Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

5. Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

6. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
and download the available "Critical Updates".

7. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
and audio drivers.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP