Peculiar skyborn legend

The other evening, I was told a story about a flight deck crew that had to
call an aircraft mfr, while in flight, to get instructions about breaking
back into the cockpit. Seems somebody may have stepped to the door with the
autopilot engaged, and then had gone a step too far (other crew members
being previously out) to catch the door before it closed...

Is this story circulating elsewhere?

"BeeFlow" <XXBeeXXFlXXXow@msn.com> wrote in message
> The other evening, I was told a story about a flight deck crew that had to
> call an aircraft mfr, while in flight, to get instructions about breaking
> back into the cockpit. Seems somebody may have stepped to the door with
> the autopilot engaged, and then had gone a step too far (other crew
> members being previously out) to catch the door before it closed...
>
> Is this story circulating elsewhere?

Well, thanks for all the replies. I needed to gage the depth of the BS one
of my co-workers was slinging.

The guy has a fair handle on constructing artificial gossip chains, but he
ain't no artiste.

I must say I'm slightly sceptical about this one. What did they use to call
the manufacturer, a mobile phone?? Maybe Oskar can answer regarding the
comms capabilities outside the cockpit.

I have also done a quick Google and come up with the following which may be
related:

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/fireaxe.asp

Regards

Geoff

"GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I must say I'm slightly sceptical about this one. What did they use to
>call
> the manufacturer, a mobile phone?? Maybe Oskar can answer regarding the
> comms capabilities outside the cockpit.
>
> I have also done a quick Google and come up with the following which may
> be
> related:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/fireaxe.asp
>

> Regards
>
> Geoff
>
> "BeeFlow" <XXBeeXXFlXXXow@msn.com> wrote in message
>> The other evening, I was told a story about a flight deck crew that had
>> call an aircraft mfr, while in flight, to get instructions about breaking
>> back into the cockpit. Seems somebody may have stepped to the door with
> the
>> autopilot engaged, and then had gone a step too far (other crew members
>> being previously out) to catch the door before it closed...
>>
>> Is this story circulating elsewhere?

This story is quite old. As far as I remember I heard that some 10 years ago
already....... ;-)
But for the comm possibilities: Outside the cockpit there's only very
limited access to communication. In a modern A/C there are satellite phones
accessible. IMHO the only possibility as cell phones do not work above a few
thousand feet flying altitude as antenna propagation is mainly horizontally
to save energy and improve terrestrial reception.
Now for the access to the cockpit: First there should always be a key
located in one of the galley's bins (usually nobody knows about
that........except for the pilots and maybe a few flight attendants...)
Secondly there's of course a fire axe, at least one in the cockpit and one
in some stowage bin in the cabin. In modern times however where cockpit
doors are heavily armed and bulletproof the fire axe variant is not likely
to be successful......
So still the better end is to stick to company procedures which do in no
case allow both pilots to leave their seats......!!!!
But overall as the italians would say: se non e vero e ben trovato......
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

Arthur

Doesn't that mean 'No anchovies on my pizza'?

(SNIP)
"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message

> But overall as the italians would say: se non e vero e ben trovato......
> --
> Oskar
> (retired captain)
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

Wouldn't want to write that report!

"BeeFlow" <XXBeeXXFlXXXow@msn.com> wrote in message
> The other evening, I was told a story about a flight deck crew that had to
> call an aircraft mfr, while in flight, to get instructions about breaking
> back into the cockpit. Seems somebody may have stepped to the door with
> the autopilot engaged, and then had gone a step too far (other crew
> members being previously out) to catch the door before it closed...
>
> Is this story circulating elsewhere?

TRENDING THREADS