Pegatron motherboard/graphics card

Gypsyq

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Please help!! I I am not very savvy when it comes to hardware. I have a HP Pavilion P7-1110, i3 2120 cpu, 6gb Ram, 250W psu, and a Pegatron 2ac2 mother board, with intergrated Intel HD Graphics. I play World of Warcraft and have had no issues playing the game until the Legion xpac. I need to upgrade my graphics and need to know what cards are compatible with this system. I have a budget of $150.00. I do not need to play the game on ultra setting (although it would be nice) just want the graphics to run smoothly, lag is a killer during pvp.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Solution

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
From a bang for buck standpoint,the best option is a Gtx 750 ti as it is around that price
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+750+ti&N=-1&isNodeId=1)

Or GTX 950, you need a card without additional power connectors
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+950&N=-1&isNodeId=1

alternatively for max power you might want to wait for the rx 460 as it is a 75w card.

However,i would recommend that you change out the Psu as the oem versions are pretty bad and are known to take out other components when they fry.
I would recommend something along the lines of a 400 watt psu.
A evga b1 500w model would be just fine for u(Around 50 USD)

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20%20600038000%2050001516%2050001697%2050001379%2050002031%2050001402%2050001669%2050002120%204025&IsNodeId=1)

Gypsyq

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016

I figured I would have to change the PSU, so with the upgraded PSU which one would be better GTX 750i or the GTX 950?

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016

with the upgraded psu,best for now is the GTX 950,though if you can wait the Rx 460 is also very enticing,though pricing might not stabilize till a few months later.

From the internet,i have found one that state the gtx 950 will run Med/High,No ultra with good fps

Solution

Gypsyq

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016

So today I bought a 500w psu put it in and it works great!!, BUT.... I also bought a zotac geforce gtx 950 pgu.... :( Sadly it did not work seems it is not compatible with my system (per zotac support). So any other suggestions how I can fix this?

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016

What did they say?Only not compatible,could you send a picture of the motherboard?

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Apparently the pegatron is a bit of a sucker of a motherboard.

Assuming it actually can and the motherboard is just screwing up)

Go into bios(press either F1 F10 F11 or F12)do whatever the screen says,try legacy booting)

link to where i found this ( http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2698286/compatible-graphics-card-pegatron-2ac2-motherboard-pavilion-1030.html )

Or i made a really bad mistake of wasting your time and money ,man i really hate my self for this

assuming the motherboard does not support,you have a few options

1)Buy another motherboard
2)RMA/return the motherboard (newegg might have a good return policy)
i)Get another card(5XX or 6XX series
ii)Get Amd card 7xxx series or rx xxx equivalent
3)Sell/Trade gtx 950 for another card

Sorry for all the trouble,just saw your post the other day on mobile while on the bus home and decided to help,did not research fully. :(

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Oh sorry,more bad news (https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/new-video-card-not-working/)

'You are not alone with woes of trying to upgrade the graphics with that motherboard. It seems the IPISB-CU (Carmel2) motherboard, which is what that model uses, is not compatible with the GeForce 7** series of graphics cards. There are numerous requests over at the HP forums about the same thing as yours. It seems the BIOS version for the motherboard is not compatible with that line of cards. There does not appear to be a version of BIOS that will make them compatible. The GeForce 6** family seems to work, however. Also keep in mind the power supply requirements, which has been mentioned earlier in this thread.'

you will need either

another gpu

or

a new motherboard

Gypsyq

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
AppleGwava, please do not feel bad, I could have very easily did more research myself and didn't, I tried to take the easy route.

It would seem there is no way to update the BIOS version (currently 7.17) It would seem this rig being a premade HP has placed limitations on upgrades and no longer supports it. I have not found a way to update the BIOS, any suggestions as where to look would be appreciated.

I did upgrade the PSU to an EVGA 500w. Funny thing is the computer seems to run better with it. I am trying to decide if I want to return the GTX 950 or keep it and gut and rebuild my system.

If I return the GPU I would try for a GTX 650, I have found a few but they are going for about $180 to $220. Really??? for an older GPU?? <sigh>

If I keep the GPU I would replace the mother board with a Z170 gaming MOBO, I would need a micro ATX (mATX) that is 9.6"x9.6". I have found a nice Gigabyte MOBO that will work. I will add an i5 6500 cpu and 2 8gb ram. It sucks I would have to buy the OS, Windows 10 Home Edition costs $90 <sigh>

The set up will cost around $500 and I would have a good gaming system to attach that GTX 950 to.

This rig works fine and can do everything I want it to. But since I play World of Warcraft (4 years now on this rig as it sits) and my Intel HD 2000 intergarted graphcs is struggling with this new expac and I am only getting 10 to 15 FPS and many time even lower.

IF....A GTX 500 series or GTX 600 series GPU would work with my current system I would for sure go that route and buy time to save for my upgrade. I just do not want to exchange the 950 GPU for one unless I am 100% sure I am not wasting my time.

I have not found anything that talks about what current/older GPUs that will work on this MOBO. So any help is appreciated.

Gypsyq

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Here is a theory I have been working on. To find out if a particular GPU would work with a particular GPU I looked up my rigs BIOS VERSION DATE. Then I went to the following link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units
to look up the release dates of GPUs, in this case NVIDA, but you can also use RADEON.

My rig's BIOS revision date is 02/07/2012

Basically any GPU created around that date or up to a year later should work.

Does that make any sense?

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016

From what is have researched,5xx and 6xx series will work,anything higher will not.Or you can go for a amd card.Im not sure about compatibility

Perhaps for a interim solution u can buy a replacement motherboard to swap the 2ac2 for .Though is dont know how worth it that will be as it more worth it to go full on out and replace more components.

Maybe it will make a nice nas or additional rig.Though i would still change the motherboard regardless if it cost little as the 2ac2 is abit feature limited.I think you can get refurb board for quite cheap and use that for the time being until everything has arrived.

I know the 15 fps feels,was stubborn enough to play a fps on my old laptop. :)

Gypsyq

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Here is my update......

The only 6xx series card I could find here in St Louis was a EVGA GT 610. Yes, I know, it really is not a gaming card...<sigh>.

BUT>>>>>

It works, go figure!!!! I played WoW last night with no lag. Game was running at 60fps but the edges were a bit rough. made a few adjustments in game and now have a clear screen image, and a steady 30 - 35 fps. Much better than before.

So since a 6xx series works, I wonder if a GT 740 would? It is a rebranded GTX 650...I am tempted to try.

Gypsyq

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Just got this from EVGA....

This is a common outcome we see with new video cards in older (1+ year old) pre-built systems. The system builder doesn't update their motherboard BIOS to recognize newer architecture video cards. This is most common with HP and Compaq systems, but I've seen it with Dell, Lenovo, Asus, etc. too. It doesn't happen very often with aftermarket boards, but when it does Asus/Gigabyte/MSI/EVGA are all pretty quick to update our BIOSes to remedy the issue.

Typically if the manufacturer has a BIOS release for your system that's from around the release date of the video card or later, it should help compatibility. For the 750 cards, that means a BIOS in the last 2-3 months at the oldest. If there's nothing in the last year, the card is most likely not going to work.

This explains why 7xx series cards are not going to work on my system..... BIOS date 2/7/2012......GTX 750ti release date 02/14/2014.

Guess I am using this 610 for a while.

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016

It just might,amd card had the quirk of needing only a bios update to jump across a cycle.Unless nvidia changed the microcode in the driver,i dont see why it shouldnt.Anyways,im happy for you ,Enjoy Wow