Question Pegatron Odense motherboard and RTX 2060?

As long as the PSU can support the graphics card it should be fine.

A few things to consider.

Prebuilt PCs might have upgrade path limited via their BIOS. At the very least this will limit the CPU choice for upgrades. The safest are the CPUs offered by the system integrator in their configurator. In this example the safest is the i7-6700.

So it depends on what this 'new build' you mention means. To me a new build would comprise of at least a new motherboard and CPU. Keeping a motherboard doesn't really facilitate new CPUs but the CPUs already compatible with it (ignoring BIOS restrictions).

Dec 1, 2019
As long as the PSU can support the graphics card it should be fine.

A few things to consider.

Prebuilt PCs might have upgrade path limited via their BIOS. At the very least this will limit the CPU choice for upgrades. The safest are the CPUs offered by the system integrator in their configurator. In this example the safest is the i7-6700.

So it depends on what this 'new build' you mention means. To me a new build would comprise of at least a new motherboard and CPU. Keeping a motherboard doesn't really facilitate new CPUs but the CPUs already compatible with it (ignoring BIOS restrictions).
thank you, I was thinking of using the I7-6700 in my new pc, would that be possible? Would there be a way to transfer my CPU into a new pc? My idea is to get a large enough case to fit everything and transfer everything into a new tower.

Last edited:
According to available information the i7-6700 is the highest clocked CPU offered by HP at the time. Which CPU do you have installed now? Could prove to be a good upgrade depending on workload.

The other possible limitation of the motherboard is the placing of the motherboard standoffs. A new case is always a nice way to freshen up a build, though some prebuilts could use proprietary (custom) form factors which complicate things.

Another possible limitation is the transferring of the Windows licence to the new build, as OEM licences are typically linked with the motherboard. But if you follow through the following, it should allow you to reuse it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Dec 1, 2019
According to available information the i7-6700 is the highest clocked CPU offered by HP at the time. Which CPU do you have installed now? Could prove to be a good upgrade depending on workload.

The other possible limitation of the motherboard is the placing of the motherboard standoffs. A new case is always a nice way to freshen up a build, though some prebuilts could use proprietary (custom) form factors which complicate things.

Another possible limitation is the transferring of the Windows licence to the new build, as OEM licences are typically linked with the motherboard. But if you follow through the following, it should allow you to reuse it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
Right now im using the i7-6700, which is part of this prebuilt pc. Im wondering if it would be okay if I could somehow transfer this CPU from the prebuilt into a new one. Thank you for the info about the Windows license.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Forget the word PC and things might make a little more sense.

From what I'm understanding, you want to take the motherboard and cpu, ram and drives from your existing HP case, swap them both to a new case and add a rtx2060.

That changes nothing but the case. Your 'build' or PC hasn't changed, everything is still the same, so Windows licensing doesn't apply, no need to worry about anything whatsoever except 2 things. The new case front connectors and the psu.

Aftermarket cases are universal. HP is generally proprietary, just like Dell or Lenovo or Sony etc. So the front connectors for hdd led, power button etc may be setup/pinned for the original case and there may be issues with that swap.

Same applies to the psu. Different motherboards have different requirements. Many proprietary motherboards used by Lenovo or Dell especially have a non traditional 14 pin main power connection with 4 or 6 pin subsidiary connectors. The traditional aftermarket main power is 20+4 pin, so there may be a need to obtain adapters.

And that can go both ways, since your original case psu will have the correct matching connection, a 500w psu with a 350w need on that gtx745, vrs a now limited 500w psu with the needs of the rtx2060 at 500w, which it may not be enough, requiring a better, stronger psu that'll have aftermarket 20+4pin mains connection.

Swapping cases with Proprietary pre-built parts is never an easy task, and very rarely is a direct swap with no issues. It can be done, just plan on hiccups along the way.

Dec 1, 2019
Forget the word PC and things might make a little more sense.

From what I'm understanding, you want to take the motherboard and cpu, ram and drives from your existing HP case, swap them both to a new case and add a rtx2060.

That changes nothing but the case. Your 'build' or PC hasn't changed, everything is still the same, so Windows licensing doesn't apply, no need to worry about anything whatsoever except 2 things. The new case front connectors and the psu.

Aftermarket cases are universal. HP is generally proprietary, just like Dell or Lenovo or Sony etc. So the front connectors for hdd led, power button etc may be setup/pinned for the original case and there may be issues with that swap.

Same applies to the psu. Different motherboards have different requirements. Many proprietary motherboards used by Lenovo or Dell especially have a non traditional 14 pin main power connection with 4 or 6 pin subsidiary connectors. The traditional aftermarket main power is 20+4 pin, so there may be a need to obtain adapters.

And that can go both ways, since your original case psu will have the correct matching connection, a 500w psu with a 350w need on that gtx745, vrs a now limited 500w psu with the needs of the rtx2060 at 500w, which it may not be enough, requiring a better, stronger psu that'll have aftermarket 20+4pin mains connection.

Swapping cases with Proprietary pre-built parts is never an easy task, and very rarely is a direct swap with no issues. It can be done, just plan on hiccups along the way.
Thank you

As Karadjgne states above.

It's a nice little project to do. A little pre-cursor to doing a proper build. (I did it the hard way by upgrading the graphics card of my prebuilt without checking whether my case could accommodate it, so ended up having to get a new case....)