Pei v3.0.0 and Empire.pm official release

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

The pei (Perl Empire Interface) client is now being completely
rewritten. This is the first release, version 3.0.0 .

It doesn't have most of pei2.9 features, especially its neat tools.
In functionality it barely exceeds the basic emp_client.

BUT! It finally combines asynchronous connection together with readline
capabilities!

And it is now based on Empire.pm module which is the base of major
tool framework and potential GUI.

The popular mapper program has also been changed to fit the new Empire.pm
conception.

Get the pei, mapper and Empire.pm packages from
http://empire.tau.ac.il/~romm/emp/

Empire.pm has also been released on CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network)

http://search.cpan.org/~romm/Empire-0.121/

Now the work on pei will concentrate on recreating the nice tools pei2.9.3
provided.

Enjoy,

Roman aka V.I.Ulianov(Lenin)

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: romm@empire.tau.ac.il http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il/

"Roman M. Parparov" <romm@empire.tau.ac.il> wrote in message
> The pei (Perl Empire Interface) client is now being completely
> rewritten. This is the first release, version 3.0.0 .

Interesting,

I've been working on the same thing (on and off) I actually had a perl/tk
empire gui near completion before the great dot com nose dive several years
ago (lost due to my own stupidity) Are you developing it on a unix or
MS-Dos based machine, if its on an ms-dos machine how are you working around
the tk file-event issues?

> It doesn't have most of pei2.9 features, especially its neat tools.
> In functionality it barely exceeds the basic emp_client.
>
> BUT! It finally combines asynchronous connection together with readline
> capabilities!
>
> And it is now based on Empire.pm module which is the base of major
> tool framework and potential GUI.
>
> The popular mapper program has also been changed to fit the new Empire.pm
> conception.
>
> Get the pei, mapper and Empire.pm packages from
> http://empire.tau.ac.il/~romm/emp/
>
> Empire.pm has also been released on CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive
Network)

> http://search.cpan.org/~romm/Empire-0.121/
>
> Now the work on pei will concentrate on recreating the nice tools pei2.9.3
> provided.
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Roman aka V.I.Ulianov(Lenin)
>
> --
> Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
> Email: romm@empire.tau.ac.il http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il/
> Phone/Fax: +972-(0)3-6405205 (work), +972-(0)51-34-18-34 (home)
> The economy depends about as much on economists as the weather does on
> weather forecasters.
> -- Jean-Paul Kauffmann

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Kelly Miller wrote:

All this talk about PYTHON and PERL gets me excited. I know you
battle-hardeded Generals can fight without a GUI, but not us green rookies!
This is a great game, but a more complete and appealing PYTHON or PERL GUI
is a necessity. Basically, as neat as this game is, I would write it's
future off without WinACE. We need "Dr. Python" to step forward and come
up with a good looking GUI, or a at least one that is usable.

My 2 cents, Kelly

Mark Stokje wrote:

> "Roman M. Parparov" <romm@empire.tau.ac.il> wrote in message
>> The pei (Perl Empire Interface) client is now being completely
>> rewritten. This is the first release, version 3.0.0 .
>
> Interesting,
>
> I've been working on the same thing (on and off) I actually had a perl/tk
> empire gui near completion before the great dot com nose dive several
> years
> ago (lost due to my own stupidity) Are you developing it on a unix or
> MS-Dos based machine, if its on an ms-dos machine how are you working
> around the tk file-event issues?
>

>> It doesn't have most of pei2.9 features, especially its neat tools.
>> In functionality it barely exceeds the basic emp_client.
>>
>> BUT! It finally combines asynchronous connection together with readline
>> capabilities!
>>
>> And it is now based on Empire.pm module which is the base of major
>> tool framework and potential GUI.
>>
>> The popular mapper program has also been changed to fit the new Empire.pm
>> conception.
>>
>> Get the pei, mapper and Empire.pm packages from
>> http://empire.tau.ac.il/~romm/emp/
>>
>> Empire.pm has also been released on CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive
> Network)
>>
>> http://search.cpan.org/~romm/Empire-0.121/
>>
>> Now the work on pei will concentrate on recreating the nice tools
>> pei2.9.3 provided.
>>
>> Enjoy,
>>
>> Roman aka V.I.Ulianov(Lenin)
>>
>> --
>> Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
>> Email: romm@empire.tau.ac.il http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il/
>> Phone/Fax: +972-(0)3-6405205 (work), +972-(0)51-34-18-34 (home)
>> The economy depends about as much on economists as the weather does on
>> weather forecasters.
>> -- Jean-Paul Kauffmann

"One day I will come back, yes, I will come back. Until then, there must be
no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs,
and prove to me that I am correct in mine. Goodbye, Susan."
The Doctor, in "The Dalek Invasion of Earth"

Kelly Miller <fkmiller@comcast.net> wrote:

> Kelly:

> I've seen the most amazingly results from PERL. I'm just not that good at
> understanding some it's concepts. Syntax-wise, it's just too sparse. Now
> Python, I like it's looks. I've seen the most amzaing things done in PERL
> though. And the module library is awesome! One of my mentors over the
> years did alot of impressive things in PERL....

> Thanks, Kelly

If you're following up a message, top-posting is discouraged.

If you prefer Python over Perl it is ok, and you can help Laurent with
PTKei.

VIU.

--

Roman M. Parparov wrote:

> Kelly Miller <fkmiller@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Kelly:
>
>> I've seen the most amazingly results from PERL. I'm just not that good
>> at
>> understanding some it's concepts. Syntax-wise, it's just too sparse.
>> Now
>> Python, I like it's looks. I've seen the most amzaing things done in
>> PERL
>> though. And the module library is awesome! One of my mentors over the
>> years did alot of impressive things in PERL....
>
>> Thanks, Kelly
>
> If you're following up a message, top-posting is discouraged.
>
> If you prefer Python over Perl it is ok, and you can help Laurent with
> PTKei.
>
> VIU.
>
> --
> Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
> Email: romm@empire.tau.ac.il http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il/
> Phone/Fax: +972-(0)3-6405205 (work), +972-(0)51-34-18-34 (home)
> The economy depends about as much on economists as the weather does on
> weather forecasters.
> -- Jean-Paul Kauffmann

Sorry to the top posting, wasn't sure what people used. Haven't used NEWS
that much in recent years. I'm a UNIX Admin too, but not in your classing
of coding. More into servers, systems, and such in recent years. I'm
pecking away at PTKei but am continually frustrated by the sparse
interface. I'm learning how to not use one so I can "backdoor" into using
PTKei.

ps -ef | grep PTKei > frustration.interface

Thanks, Kelly