Peltier cooler problems

evan1715

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
i just hooked up my new peltier plate, i7-3770K, and corsair H110 and my temperatures seem worse than an intel stock cooler.

whats going on?

Solution

Well...., it being a 60 W unit will not cool a stock CPU rated at 77 W let alone having it OC'd. The CPU is 37.5 mm X 37.5mm so your 40mm X 40mm peltier does not have full coverage either.

Take a look at this THREAD to get a better idea of another solution using peltiers.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Could be a number of things. What is the wattage rating of the peltier you are using? What voltage is it rated for and how much voltage are you using? That CPU is rated 77 Watts stock. If you OC you will need much more considering peltiers are not 100% efficient.

If the hot side of the peltier gets too hot it will transfer heat to the cold side making it less able to remove heat from the CPU. Might not cool it at all in worse case.

Are you using a copper or alum. plate between the peltier and CPU? If so is it the same size as the peltier? How thick is it?

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Well...., it being a 60 W unit will not cool a stock CPU rated at 77 W let alone having it OC'd. The CPU is 37.5 mm X 37.5mm so your 40mm X 40mm peltier does not have full coverage either.

Take a look at this THREAD to get a better idea of another solution using peltiers.

Solution

AFter reading that, and the overclockers thread and seeing what everyone has to do to get it work and using multiple units and no rad's and foam everywhere, the OP's idea will never work. I guess if just buying a $6 part off newegg and slapping it between a CPU and heatsink and plugging it into a molex and we would all get magical temps, well everyone would be doing it. Every mining GPU would have one of these, etc. 5 minutes looking through the link you posted and I see it's 100000x more complicated than $6 and a molex plug.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
AFter reading that, and the overclockers thread and seeing what everyone has to do to get it work and using multiple units and no rad's and foam everywhere, the OP's idea will never work. I guess if just buying a $6 part off newegg and slapping it between a CPU and heatsink and plugging it into a molex and we would all get magical temps, well everyone would be doing it. Every mining GPU would have one of these, etc. 5 minutes looking through the link you posted and I see it's 100000x more complicated than $6 and a molex plug.

Back in the day what the OP wanted to do was a lot more common except you "stacked" peltiers to achieve the necessary cooling desired and used a whole lot more power. Not nearly as much heat to dissipate compared to our modern CPUs and GPUs. Still had to insulate the M/B thou in many cases because of the extreme cold temps being produced. That link shows a method of cooling that I use as well on my 2700k @ 5.2 GHz 24/7. I truly enjoy experimenting with my PC and exploring options that probably are not for everyone.

Good luck to you all and happy OC'n. :)

Wow learn something new everyday, I did not even know Newegg had any peltiers in their sales lineup! :)

If you are serious about the peltier direct mount approach then you need to educate yourself before you destroy a perfectly good 3770K CPU, or your Motherboard, Or BOTH!

Learn from those that have traveled this road before you, learn from their success, and their failures, stand on what they learned the hard way, and then, proceed from there!

Start your education here to learn what peltiers can and cannot do!

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309722

Many at overclock.net use the direct mount approach.

http://www.overclock.net/f/62/peltiers-tec

Below is a good quality place to buy from, that is dedicated to peltier typical situations, unlike Newegg that supplies peltiers as cooled or heated drink cup setups.

http://customthermoelectric.com/index.htm

Best of luck to you! Ryan

OOPS :pfff: Almost forgot!

Never power a peltier from 18g MOLEX cabling, power it from 14g PCI-E, or 14g 8 pin or 4 pin Motherboard Connectors, using extension cabling, and always use a Single 12v rail power supply, IF you power from a standard PC typical Power Supply.

Additionally direct to CPU mounting of a peltier requires insulating the motherboard to protect it from condensation damage!