honsbeek

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
Hello,

I'm planning to change CPU's should I do it...
I was looking at the newer Pentium 4 530 (3.0 Ghz)
Can anyone recommend this newer style of CPU, I've noticed the fan (cooler) might be a lot noisier, also I will of course have to change my MOBO...

My concern is the performance, will pen4 530 beat Pen4 2.8???

Thank you
Ralph

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 3.0 Northwood barely beats the 3.0 Prescott in most applications. You're now considering the LGA 775 version of the CPU? The 3.0E and P4 530 are the same thing except for the packaging.

Why would you change your board? If your board supports the 3.0E, why would you want the 530 instead, if they're the same core?

Either way, it's not worth upgrading from an 800 bus Northwood 2.8, ie, the 2.8C. Performance difference is very small.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
To make an informed comment, we would first need to know whether the chip was a P4a,b,c,or e. We would also need to know the motherboard you are using, and the fsb.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If your upgrading, then you should totally rethink this. The 3.0 in the 775 flavor would not be the way to go. To many issues like heat. If you did go with a 775 board then it would only make sense if you were getting a faster CPU. Even then, I would either look into yout Overclocking potential with your current chip. We do need your system specs.