Pencil-thin Dell Adamo XPS Has Core 2 Duo Brains

Status
Not open for further replies.

cushgod

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Nice and thin... what graphics chip is in there?? Must be crappy! Can it play HD 1080P flawlessly.. prob not, can it play any good games...?? prob not.. Its a overpriced netbook.... What can I do on this that I cant do on a netbook.....not much that I would want to spend that much on it..1700 for Adamo or 300. for a silly netbook.. I would never buy a netbook...

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Cushgod[/nom]Nice and thin... what graphics chip is in there?? Must be crappy! Can it play HD 1080P flawlessly.. prob not, can it play any good games...?? prob not.. Its a overpriced netbook..[/citation]

The screen probably does 1366x768, so you'll be stuck with 720p.
I am betting on an Intel 4500MHD uncelerator. Good enough for movies, forget about gaming.

But anything that has a dual-core processor and a 12+ inch screen can hardly be considered a netbook.

Dell is just catering to a crowd of people that want to steal the d-bag crown from macbook air owners.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]sstym[/nom]Dell is just catering to a crowd of people that want to steal the d-bag crown from macbook air owners.[/citation]

My thoughts exactly, although not necessarily my choice of words. :)

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Adamo = I love. Latin, first person, present tense. Adamare is the infinitive, "to love." I hate it when companies translate any language incorrectly. Yes, I read/write Latin.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Rockstone1[/nom]DD3 800? What? Core 2 Duo with DDR 3? Wtf?[/citation]

Yes. DDR3 = lower voltage and less heat = more gooder for small/thin/light/etc.

G

I care less about the device's thickness, than I care about the other sizes of the device.
10" is truly the largest I'd probably want to go to.

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]thejerk[/nom]Adamo = I love. Latin, first person, present tense. Adamare is the infinitive, "to love." I hate it when companies translate any language incorrectly. Yes, I read/write Latin.[/citation]

I hate to break your heart chief but you read Latin for shite...

Adamo translates exactly as they claim.

"I love" in Latin is AMO.

Amo
Amas
Amat
Amamus
Amatis
Amant

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I am sure you are throwing together a scrappy response so I will preempt it with a simple Latin lesson for you...
http://onlysometimesclever.wordpress.com/2006/10/07/amo-amas-amat-pt-ii-your-first-latin-lesson/

And to the poster regarding the hinge on the lap, I agree! It looks like the screen would swivel if not on a table.

g8t0r

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]I care less about the device's thickness, than I care about the other sizes of the device.10" is truly the largest I'd probably want to go to.[/citation]

Thats what she said! Or wait....

G

it's a samsung x360 + dual core processor + stupid heat sensitive latch.

gloss is stupid, matte is for people that actually use notebooks. when will manufacturers get it right???

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Uber thin and uber impractical!!!

Vertical size constraints mean your pencil-thin battery will get mediocre run times - 3 hours at best. And the lack of a proper thermal budget means you can kiss goodbye to any decent mainstream processor or GPU.

For that kind of money you could get a 13" HP dv3t with a T9900 off ebay, discreet GPU and a nice 9-cell battery. It would not weigh much more than 4lbs.

But I'm sure it will inspire an emotional connection with folks who attempt to be productive with the Adamo - one that involves picking the unit up with both hands and cracking it in half across your knee in frustration...

Seriously, if thin is your style get a HP Envy 13. Better processors, better screens, discreet graphics, much better batteries and no stupid hinge.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]...am I the only one who finds this thing ugly?[/citation]

No you're not the only one. It just looks wrong. It looks like it opens upside down. Seriously, if I really wanted a laptop that's all about how thin it is and all about looks then I'd rather plop my $1799 down on a top end MacBook Air. Dell laptops don't usually look this bad.

judeh101

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Cushgod[/nom]Nice and thin... what graphics chip is in there?? Must be crappy! Can it play HD 1080P flawlessly.. prob not, can it play any good games...?? prob not.. Its a overpriced netbook.... What can I do on this that I cant do on a netbook.....not much that I would want to spend that much on it..1700 for Adamo or 300. for a silly netbook.. I would never buy a netbook...[/citation]
Wow! How lost are you? A netbook doesn't use Core 2 Duo fyi :)
It can definitely play 1080p without a hiccup. It's expensive, I do agree with you, but if you don't want to spend that much on it, don't buy it at all!

PS The keyboard looks like a Macbook's keyboard.

steveoh

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
You're not supposed to put it in your lap. You're supposed to set it up on a table at Starbucks so people will notice you.

Status
Not open for further replies.